1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unstable internet speeds and program connections, but stable internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rakeesh, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

I recently built a new PC, cannibalizing the old one for some parts in the process. Once completed and set up the internet had seemed fine, though I was busy installing everything so it's possible I just didn't notice at first. Since completion my internet connection has gone from previously 100% speedy to a sort off, stuttering lag. The connection itself remains on, there's no indication of losing connection to the actual internet, but sometimes it feels like I have.

It's particularly noticeable when directing to a new webpage. It now seems to stutter; taking a few seconds to register that I've redirected it, a few seconds of white screen, and then slowly everything loads in, with even thumbnail images loading choppily (it sorta reminds me of how things used to load on a modem a little bit at a time). This occurs in all browsers I've tried, including Steam.

Steam will regularly lose connection as well, which never happened previously except when it's servers were down.

I also work from home using LogMeIn.com which has not been able to establish a connection to my work pc - it can connect to the network, activate the encryption, but fails with the error "your connection to the remote computer has been lost."

Streaming sites like youtube, twitch and livestream lag at first loadup, like everything else, but the videos stream perfectly fine with no hiccups.

When running windows network diagnostics the troubleshooting is unable to automatically fix the issues and detects the following:
    "Your computer appears to be corrected configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

I've done everything I can think of including the following:
    -All drivers are up to date (windows, network, hardware, browsers)
    -Reset the router
    -Completed full scans for viruses and malware and turned up nothing malicious
    -Internet Protocol Versions 4 and 6 are set to obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically.

I have tested the internet on multiple devices and these connection issues only appear on my computer.
    -Wireless via phone is fine
    -Ethernernet via consoles are fine

IP Config:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mainframe
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-8A-5B-9A-83-4D
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fc8d:1554:94e9:62f2%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August-21-14 5:43:05 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : August-28-14 5:43:05 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 239372891
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-78-85-EC-44-8A-5B-9A-83-4D
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.71.255.204
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7C2F91DF-70BE-4C8A-86DA-45CAA94DFBE3}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

System Specs:
    Intel core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
    MSI Z97M Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z97 micro ATX motherboard
    MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTZ 770 2GB videocard
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4x8gb) DDR2 SDRAM [Note, only 3 installed due to size of current CPU fan (needing to be replaced), 24gb installed, 16gb usable)
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit operating system, service pack 1
    Norton Internet Security is on
    Windows Firewall is on

I am on Rogers Cable in Toronto Canada and use a Hitron CGN3-ROG Router

Any help would be appreciated, I'm completely out of ideas and internet troubleshooting hasn't led me to anything new to try.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried a speedtest at all ?
    www.speedtest.net
    as a reference - so we can test , if changes are made
    can you post a screen shot in normal and in safemode - see below

have you tried removing norton and see if that improves

also
    - try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )

For other windows version, XP,Vista, W7 as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

All speedtests remain at the old levels. I am still downloading 90-120 and still uploading 10-12.

Attempting to use safemode was met with page errors "Unable to connect to proxy server" no matter what website I tried to reach. From Google to Tumblr to Twitch to Speedtest, none of them worked.

My PC is connected to the modem via ethernet cable and is not a wireless device.

The issue has also been ongoing since before Norton was installed, but I will try uninstalling and testing again after work and see if there's any changes.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thats interesting ?

perhaps theres some malware on the PC

But first - try this

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove any proxy settings
    Check your browser's settings, remove or uncheck any proxy settings if found

http://www.plus.net/support/software/browsers/proxies.shtml
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5512742_remove-proxy-server.html

Google Chrome
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96815?hl=en-GB
    This will open the Internet Explorer Properties dialogue (Windows) or the Network dialogue (Mac) where you can adjust your network settings

Firefox
    Tools>Options>Advanced>Network Tab>connections Settings... button>
    Newer release version see here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...nection-problem#w_firefox-connection-settings
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

I have no existing proxy settings within chrome.

I've already scanned for malware, viruses, etc. using both Norton and Combofix. Aside from a couple tracking cookies nothing malicious pops up.

Norton is uninstalling as we speak and once rebooted I'll get back to you on any changes.

Edit-----------------
    Uninstalled and there's been no change to the connection speed.

6. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

After reinstalling Norton it actually prompted me for address and port selection, stating potential malware may be causing it to want to set to specific settings. Those are:

Address: 127.0.0.1
    Port: 49162

I told it to ignore them.

A subsequent malware scan hasn't turned up anything.

7. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

After some fiddling and reinstalling of drivers and system it seems to have corrected the majority of the loadup issues; however, it appears connection/networking issues remain. Some sites seem to not want to load at all sometimes (genecatlow webcomic, newshounds webcomic) and will pop up with Error 502 and redirect with browsersafeguard.com. I am also still not able to establish a connection with my work pc over logmein. The same proxy error as noted above continues in safemode with networking.

The driver software for the network, Killer Network and Killer Network Manager, is unable to test the network speed claiming "This machine does not have Flash installed. Please install the latest version of Flash." This goes on in spite of having downloaded and installed flash via Chrome.

Again, all drivers are up to dated and freshly installed.

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Try this: open chrome, from the “Applications” tab of the Killer Network Manager, click on chrome process. Switch the priority from 1 to either 2, 3, or 4 or reverse.

Or just uninstall KNM completely.

9. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Thread Starter

Morning all,

Fiddling with the priority within Killer Network Manager doesn't seem to yield any changes. And uninstalling the manager unfortunately also uninstalls the drivers as well, leading to browser not finding the internet and leading to the following error page in chrome:
    [BrowserSafeguard] DNS Lookup for "browsersafeguard.com" failed. Windows reports that no network connection is available. The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

10. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

KNM is a pain, the only other things I can think of is to reinstall KNM and disable it from starting up to see what that yields (requires reboot). If nothing you could try downloading Athero AR8161 driver to see if that makes a difference. Although using that drive may cause the OS to become unstable.
    http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/drivers/AR813x_AR815x_AR816x_v2.1.0.21_WHQL.zip

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice