1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unsung heroes

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by plschwartz, Sep 17, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Today might well be the birthday of Thomas Crapper

Though we do not know his actual date of birth, we can now say the man Thomas Crapper probably was born in September 1836, since he was baptized the 28th of that month. Crapper did have a successful career in the plumbing industry in England from 1861 to 1904.

Myth: The word "crap" is derived from Thomas Crapper's name.

Fact. The origin of crap is still being debated. Possible sources include the Dutch Krappe; Low German krape meaning a vile and inedible fish; Middle English crappy, and Thomas Crapper. Where crap is derived from Crapper, it is by a process know as, pardon the pun, a back formation.

The World War I doughboys passing through England brought together Crapper's name and the toilet. They saw the words T. Crapper-Chelsea printed on the tanks and coined the slang "crapper" meaning toilet.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Paul: Your anal retention is showing Luv! :D Are you bored or what!!! :D Take care. angel

By the way...does everyone know what anal retention is? :) Also called "bashful kidney" when I was in nursing school. :)

3. plschwartz

angel:
    1. Seriously would you rather use an outhouse and have electric lights or a flush toilet and gas lights :D
    I would vote for the second thus placing Crapper above Edison in importance.

Actually I was empting my fishtank with a siphon > thought of S trap in toilet (why??) > year toilet invented . I finished empting the fishtank and went to google to crapper for year and realized it was about his birthday.

2. Yes I am bored since I decided to stop wring(sic I meant writing. A true freudian keyboard) opinions in civilized. (actually I was going to leave completely like our Val did but since I wouldn't stop my ISP I only quit half-way) Thats why or maybe sothat I was empting the fishtank two weeks after the last fish died.
    ;) ;)

BTW I am Oscar not Felix

4. angelize56

:D I hadn't noticed you weren't posting in civilized. When did that start? Come here and lay on my couch and we'll talk! :D

5. plschwartz

Well Dr. Angel: It was when I was ready to reply to a posted now 86ed and I guess that is when I hit bottom. Spending the time of day eith "M" is one thing but this is quite another.
    As I said I am now loke Sgt Joe Friday trying to just give facts since the part I most love is the hunt on Google for the right (?) information.
    Random at least "civilized" (sic) is a class A narcotic, highlyaddictive, but does make you fell good until you need another hit. I feel sorta like I am on Methadone right now:D

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Paul, I hope that I had nothing to do with your absence from civilized.

7. KeithKman

KeithKman

Thats pretty cool. Nice work! :D

8. plschwartz

LAN:
    You are one of the bright civilized stars of that forum. As I tried to explain it was when I found myself ready to answer, shall we say one of the dark stars now extinguished, that I had to take a serious look at what was going on. And that infamous fishtank is only 10 feet from my workstation amnd stood there uncleaned for two weeks or so.
    Of course meeting new people, like yourself who I would elsewise never chat with has been wonderful.
    But while I admit that there was some joy in trying to figure out how to send ofal from new york to orange county in fixed-length packets over fiberglass, too much of the time I spent here I engaged in angry and petty discussion.
    Of course I was interested in why I was doing it. To find out I did have to let myself be that person for a while. Well that time seems to be passed and I need to think things out. I am not pulling the plug as Val seems to have had to But for now its Joe Friday time.

I do think the UN baghdad bombing did something to the passion that Iraq aroused before then; sobered us up as it were. I am hopeful that "civilized" can in fact be so. I am encouraged by the "both sides of the aisle" thread which has maintained a dignity.
    Thank you for your concern and friendship
    Paul

9. angelize56

Paul: Please call me to schedule a few more sessions! :D Free of charge of course! :) Take care. Dr. angel :D

10. clskrk

clskrk

Can I call "Dr. Angel?" :)

11. angelize56

^ Yes I always have time for friends free of charge! :)

12. clskrk

clskrk

Do you accept HMO's?

13. angelize56

Depends! :)

14. clskrk

clskrk

I've got one through my wifes work that redefines sucks. I've been fighting with them for a year now to get some testing done at an out of network facility. Their best solution is for me to go to Kansas City for the testing, which will cost about 700.00 ~ 1,500.00 for my wife to take me. (I'm on driving restriction :()

15. angelize56

:eek: I saw today that here in Michigan Medicaid as of October 1st is cutting out dental, chiropractic, podiatry and hearing aid services for those over 21. (n) There go my dentures! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice