1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unsure how many monitors my computer can handle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AutumnSkylark, Sep 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. AutumnSkylark

AutumnSkylark Thread Starter

So I recently came across an ad on craigslist saying that I could come pick up 4 monitors (albeit, older monitors that I'm pretty certain that 1909W's from Dell since it matches all the same stats), so of course I went to get them. I arrived and now I also have a 5th one that I'm not sure what the model is, nor have I ever heard of the brand, BenQ? so now I'm trying to figure out how many my computer's going to be able to handle without, you know, dying. Obviously all five (along with the two AOC 21.5" IPS LED FHD monitors I already have connected and will prioritize) would be a bit insane but if it works, I'd probably try it, though I doubt I have the space I'd probably try building something to make it work.

Anyway, my computer is here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ref...nish-in-twinkle-black/6254767.p?skuId=6254767

Would've just posted specs was I wasn't too sure if I should only do that.

If anybody could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Depends on what's running on each monitor. Normal stuff like webpages, email, spreadsheets, etc. work fine on multiple monitors connected via USB. But, it takes a hunk of change for the equipment necessary to try and run a high-end game across multiple monitors.

My wife is running four monitors on an i5 HP laptop running Windows 10. AutoCAD is almost always open on the main monitor, while the other three are displaying things like email, spreadsheet, maybe a manufacturers website. One screen is the laptop screen, the main monitor is connected to the HP's built-in DisplayPort and the other two montors are connected via two USB 3 ports. And she has no complaints.

4. AutumnSkylark

Ah okay, that kinda sounds like what I'm planning on doing. I don't really want to run games over multiple monitors, I just want to have more than the two I already have for other things. That link you sent, I saw that they mentioned an external graphics card. I had no idea that that was possible to get, I'm looking into those now. Thanks for the help! :D

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome. And best of luck!

6. AutumnSkylark

Thank you :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!