1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unusaul errors using Office XP. Should I just reinstall???

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Nflder, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop with Win XP with SP2 installed. Originally I posted this under security as I thought it was a security issue. After living with it for a week I now think it may be Windows or almost certainly Office XP (2003).

After starting the computer and Windows starts I get a small window titled Windows Installer which says... Preparing to Install after that another small window that is titled Norton AntiVirus 2005 that says "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the Repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall". After I click OK on both windows they appear two more times and do not appear again unless I start and Office program. It has been like it now for a week and I turn off every night and it changes nothing. All my Office programs (I’m really only using Outlook, Word & Excel) appear to be working OK except that Word has suddenly disappeared twice when I have been in another program and other times when starting Word it will say that it was not shut down properly and suggests I start in safe mode, I do not and it functions OK giving me the last files I had been working on. While using Outlook, Norton appears to be functioning as it is stopping virus infected emails and I get security alerts saying that someone has attempted to attack my computer etc. I think the initial "Preparing to install" window that occurs before I run any Office program may be comming from some part of Office starting up in RAM. No Office program is set to run at start-up

I am anticipating some sort of a crash and wonder if I should just do a reinstall (which I think will become a repair) of Office.

Any advice?

Thanks...

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi nflder,

This might be a complete red-herring, but I had a similar problem a short while ago after downloading some Norton LiveUpdates; the message about preparing to install Norton Internet Security took about 5 attempts to cancel before it then just appeared to carry on and work OK.

What, by chance, cured it in the end was I used my Norton boot disk to start up during which it loaded some missing files and ever since, touch wood, it's been OK.

So you might try as I did or even uninstall and re-install Norton again, although you will loose the latest virus definitions etc and have to download them again.

Perhaps before that try Repairing Office (Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / Office / Change / Repair.

lol
    Hew

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice