unused desktop popup annoyance

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lifted

Can anybody please show me how to keep the " there are unused desktop icons cleanup wizard popup to quit coming up for good? for every different user? I already know about going to desktop settings with the 60 days thing. I am an I T at a school where these kids see this message and tend to screw things up when thety go into it. Please Help me . it's driving me crazy!#@$% Thanks in advance

right click on an open space on the task bar - properties - uncheck hide inactive icons

lifted

Really? that's it!? I will do this, and am very thankful to you. my friend. Cheers, Lifted

I think you were misinformed - MFDnSC's fix is only regards to the systray icon's not the cleanup wizards popup.

Try this -

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\Desktop\CleanupWiz. Value Name: NoRun, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (0 = enabled, 1= disable wizard). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'NoRun' and edit the value according to the settings below. Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

lifted

O.k. Stumped Techy, You've got my mouth watering... I am chosing to modify the existing value of NoRun, which is 0x00000001 (1) .... what are the settings below you are talking about Please? And doesn't that 1 in parenthesis mean disabled? Thanks

Yes 1 is disabled... I should have put above not below.

Have you checked out if TweakUI offers anything to help stop this? As far as I knew this was the only way to stop it was through this registry key/disabling it in the display settings.

lifted

Thanks, Stumped, I will try that site and let you know. What would happen if I just deleted the whole wizard out of the registry? from Current version/Explorer that is...?

lifted

Oh well, I went to that site and it was just the sixty day cleanup thing from desktop properties thing. Well let me know if you come up with something... now that you showed me where it is in the registry I 've got an itchy trigger finger to delete it. Ha ha.....but I guesss I won't. Seeya

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online