Solved Unused RAID icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raybro

I just reconfigured and older HP Pavilion desktop (Model a1000) and installed Windows 7. Everything operates OK, but I have one little thing I'd like to do and can't find any info on.

The previous configuration with Vista had slots for 4 additional RAID drives whose icons appear ONLY in the "My Computer" window. Not having any drives connected other than the single internal C:\ drive, I'd like to remove them. They do no harm but I like to remove them (call me anal). There is no delete option on right-click. Anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish this.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There may be a way to disable them in the BIOS.

Which one of these HP Pavilion a1000 series desktops do you have?

--------------------------------------------------------------

raybro

Hi Frank... Found another sticker on the front panel near the bottom of the tower which identifies the machine as "HP Pavilion a1640n". The designation I listed before was apparently a series number on a larger sticker on the bottom. I'll check BIOS and see what reference to RAID is there.

raybro

Opened BIOS and took a shot of the MAIN screen, which is the only place anything about additional drives is noted. Not able to find any way to change the configuration. Pic attached.

Attachments

raybro

Ran across a blog that indicated one can switch from RAID to IDE in BIOS under the advanced tab/SATA. I did so and on boot, the black screen with Repair windows and start windows normally comes up. Selecting start windows normally results in reboot. Tried ACHI with similar results. Set it back to RAID and it boots normally. BIOS Flash maybe???

raybro

It occurred to me the "Repair"could be related to reconfiguration of Windows after changing BIOS from RAID to IDE. I'm not inclined to run the Repair option unless it becomes really necessary. What do you think?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Can you post a screenshot of these "RAID drives"? Are you sure they are not from a media card reader?

Don't change the SATA mode, that will as you have discovered cause Windows to fail to boot up. That's not your issue. A BIOS flash will also not fix your issue.

raybro

Here ya go, Rob.
The drives are listed in BIOS I did try selecting both IDE and AHCI options in BIOS. Both resulted in the same response by Windows... No boot.
Also attached is a pic of the BIOS MAIN tab showing the 4 RAID Drives

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yup, those look like media card drives. Do you have a card reader in your computer or in a printer?

raybro

Man, do I have card readers. Check the attached pic. Looks like you solved the question. I have little use for them. Know any way to hide them? Thanks

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You should be able to remove the drive letters from Disk Management by right clicking on them; right click on My Computer, choose Manage, then Disk Management, Right click on each and remove the drive letter.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hi Frank... Found another sticker on the front panel near the bottom of the tower which identifies the machine as "HP Pavilion a1640n".
You actually have a HP Pavilion Media Center a1640n Desktop PC.
As soon as I saw a photo of the front of its case, that confirmed it has a memory card reader drive and explains the reason for the extra drive letters in the "COMPUTER" window.
Rob has already identified it as the reason for the extra drive letters, so no further input from me is needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

raybro

I made a bad assumption which led me down the primrose path. No problem, the collective knowledge of Techguy members is something I can always count on. The extra drive letters are Gone and I am now a happy camper. Kudos to Frank and Rob. I'll mark this thread "Solved"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts