1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unusual BATTERY/SHUTDOWN Behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fiLmNut, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiLmNut

fiLmNut Account Closed Thread Starter

I have used the search tool and found a few threads that rang similar to mine, but not quite. So I am creating a new one.

MAIN SYMPTOM/PROBLEM: Some mornings I will wake my computer from stand-by. Check an email. Begin typing out my reply. About three sentences in and the computer will just shut OFF, not shutDOWN, without any warning. Insanely irritating when it comes to lost drafts etc.

This has been happening on/off for about two months now. Suffice to say, I have been watching the battery LED's color status closer as a result. Solid green. Power options show on AC Power (Yes, permanently plugged in) and battery at 100%.

When the computer turns itself OFF the battery LED either flashes orange then eventually a solid orange.
    15-20 minutes later a solid green and I start my computer with the ON button.
    I will then check the power options and they will read the same as mentioned above.
    On mornings like this, this may happen 1-2 more times in a row over an hour or so, then fully function without problem for an entire weekend or weeks at a time.

NOW... If I choose not to wait for the LED to turn green and turn the computer on and check the power options it shows the battery life way low (Sometimes 0%). In this case it will be seconds before it happens again, which is to be expected. I do have a couple battery power alarms that never go off when the battery gets to a certain percentage. So it seems to just skip from 100% to 0% literally in an instant. Yet, if this is the case, what exactly is the point of the plug?

After checking that, when I go back to charging it to green by clicking stand by, it will only blink orange randomly with shorter and longer durations like morse code, EVENTUALLY reaching solid green. It charges constantly with a solid orange when the computer is OFF. So why not just shut it down you say? This leads to another problem. (Related?) The shutting down command seemingly always causes either a long OR short delayed RESTART. I shut it down at night and wake to find it on. Other times the shutdown has it restart right away. So... I must hold down the power button to turn it OFF so it may charge without interruption.

I have assumed I should just get a new battery and have been planning to until this appeared today. It so far has appeared ONLY ONCE. Windows cannot start because the file WINDOWSROOT>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or invalid. Etc. I hit the power button to turn it off, then again to turn it on, and Windows Booted up normally. (Related?) Three symptoms, I need an expert to connect the dots, if they do in fact connect. Simple solution: New Battery?? Where is a legit online place to get one?

Laptop Battery: Panasonic - CGR-B/6H5
    My profile containing the Laptop specs is up to date.
    Acer Aspire 5570Z. WinXP. SP3.

You guys are amazing, text cannot convey my thanks to you.

2. fiLmNut

BUMP. This isn't a complicated question is it?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Before buying a battery check if the laptop works ok powered from the adapter with the battery removed.

4. fiLmNut

Sadly, my laptop is among the certain types that doesn't work without the battery completing the circuit for the AC plug. Further ideas?

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  6. SRD7

SRD7

eBay is a very good place for getting laptop batteries or chargers, you can get them for like £10 - £20 compared to stores like PC World etc. who will try charging £50 - £60!! We get most of our batteries from eBay and havent had a problem with any of them yet.

7. fiLmNut

I'm not positive, now. Google results are leaning toward the battery being mandatory. I scrolled that Manual before answering your initial reply, and got as far as page 25 before giving up. Thank you for finding that. In the sake of progress I will assume the Manual is correct. YET, zero LED's are lit when the battery is out, and it will not power on of course. Could this be mitigated by modifying the power scheme?

Control Panel>Power Options is the only control I have over the power scheme. There is a driver I could get from Acer to manage the scheme as well I think. Further thoughts?

eBay for purchasing... Okay, how about an eBay seller to be trusted. In this case I am looking for first hand word of mouth.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Not sure it will help but you can certainly try changing the power scheme settings and that Acer program, it can't do any harm.

Can't help much with Ebay as I'm in UK except to say I've had good buys from Hong Kong and China but not bought batteries from there myself but would think it would be fine as most are made there now any way.

9. fiLmNut

The green font is a reply to 'SRD7''s input.

The devil is always in the details. Do you suspect the devil is somehow explained in the details I explained in the very beginning? What would you do, new battery or...?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice