1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unusual BSOD problem - help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RIrunner, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIrunner

RIrunner Thread Starter

My son booted his desktop with XP and SP3 this morning. Saw a warning from Microsoft Essentials but before he could do anything the PC rebooted. (He does have a firewall, anti-virus, and spyware/ malware checkers.) Anyway, he ended up with reboots. When I disabled it, we get a BSOD with a generic code that Microsoft and Google searches basically say it could be hardware, drivers, or...
    So, I loaded BART PE and a Linux bootable cd. Each ran diagnostics on hardware with no problem and ran for hours.
    But as soon as I try XP, it will go into a profile fine. Even out on the web or into software, but within 3 - 5 minutes will go into the BSOD. No Safe Mode or any other option prevents this from happening. Even if I get the profile screen and do not enter one, it will still within minutes go to BSOD.
    What can I do? He has a new external backup drive but had not gotten to it yet. (He has learned his lesson. But much college work is on it.)
    Please help. I do not know if there truly was a virus/ malware. Or if coincidence there was a warning. Also, the Event Log states that there was a problem this morning trying to install an update from Microsoft.

Russ:confused:

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Have you tried System Restore?

Did you run chkdsk /r ?

Are all fans running and no air restrictions, dust, lint etc. on heat sinks?

Consider uninstalling some of those last MS updates.

Hope you aren't running MSE and some other AV software together...

If none of that helps, click the "Report" button on your post screen and ask to be moved to the Virus/Malware forum.

3. RIrunner

RIrunner Thread Starter

Hi. I appreciate your ideas, however... System Restore had not been turned on. Not fan or other hardware as the system works for hours if under bootable Linux or BAart PE. - A Linux version of Avira found a virus and removed it. But still the problem of only minutes running under XP and then BSOD. Chkdsk /r found no problems. No 2 anti-virus prgs. together.

Anyone any other ideas?

Russ

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice