1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unusual case of not detecting dvd/cd drive on inspiron 1100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monticus, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monticus

Monticus Thread Starter

Hello all, and thanks for reading this.

I have a client who was having the ntldr either missing or corrupt error on boot. I intended to copy in new versions from my laptop, and also use the utilty from MS that apparently resolves this issue due to excessive indexing on root, but to no avail. Don't get wrapped up in this as it is only background info for the current issue.

We performed a repair installation of XP Home, and the machine became functional again. I showed her how to copy the contents of her old "my docs" to her new one, I installed Office XP, obviously from CD, and recovered her pst, and instructed her that before she was to do anything else online, she was to go through the several hours of windows updates as she was only as sp1. Unfortunately, she decided to ignore that and install her linksys wireless adapter instead of waiting until she is in NY with a wired connection and do the updates. After she installed the software from linksys, her dvd/cd drive no longer shows up under my comp, device mgr, and when we go into bios her optical drive is not detected. The tray opens and closes, spins, whirls, etc. but is not accessable.

I had her restore to the point before she installed the linksys drivers but that changed nothing. Opened the reg looking for the upperfilter lowerfilter fix and neither of those keys existed, which makes sense since i idid not install any burning software. Cannot uninstall the drive because it is not in the dev mgr so i can't force windows to reinstall the native drivers.

Finally, my question is this: without bios recognizing anything, am i wrong to assume that the brown out that she claims caused the ntldr issue at the root of her optical drive now being defunct? during the brownout here in chicago she wasn't connected to a surge protector and the machine was on. why would the dvd/cd drive work long enough for me to install offxp, and her the drivers for the linksys adapter, and then poop out?

Any ideas would be most appreciated, and I hope that all of you are well.

Thanks,

I, Monticus

2. dessign

dessign

3. norton850

norton850

If the optical drive is not showing in BIOS that would indicate it's not a Windows problem, but either something wrong with the drive, the connection or the laptop MB. You can take the drive out and put it back in, check BIOS to make sure settings are right. After that I think it's either trying to replace the drive or try it on another laptop. If you set the laptop to boot from the CDROM drive will it boot from a Windows CD?

4. Monticus

Monticus Thread Starter

I was really hoping it was not a hardware issue, but I have been pretty convinced it is. My client has moved to the Catskills so I can no longer really work this. I suggested that she just get an external drive in the mean time, but let her know that a new internal drive is the best case minimum scenario.

Thanks all design and norton for responding.

Have a safe day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice