1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unusual problem with External Hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by enigmatic7earth, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigmatic7earth

enigmatic7earth Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Operating System Forum,please help!

I happen to use Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB Harddrive [NTFS format] and am using it on a Windows 7 Ultimate with SP 1(x86). The drive would usually show up under "Devices with Removable Storage" section rather than under "Hard Disk Drives" section in Windows Explorer. It was working perfectly fine.

I had lent to a friend of mine who wanted to take a back up of his stuff. He is using Windows 8 Pro with WMC (x_64).He then returned it to me. I could see my files on his laptop.

When I reconnected the external hard disk to my system, the drive's icon is visible in Windows Explorer, but is now shown under "Hard Disk Drives" section. Also I could see the drive listed in the Disk Management section of Computer Management in NTFS format.

The problem is that I can't see the files and folders in the Windows Explorer even when I trun on "Show hidden files and folders" option from Folder Options. Also I did not get any messages to format the drive.

My files are present on the disk, of this I am certain as,I can see that a certain portion is shown a occupied in the Windows Explorer.

I have even tried using the TestDisk utility to analyse the status of the drive and to search for lost partitions, but that to has failed, as I can't see the files in Windows Explorer.
    (I have also tried using EaseUS Partition Recovery-Free edition, but no luck)

One pecular thing that I noticed was that all my files were present in an unnamed folder on the external hard disk when I used the TestDisk utility to see a list of files.

When I connect my external hard disk to my friends laptop, they are visible but are accessed by clicking a shortcut icon to the harddisk and not the usual way.

Nether of us has the required space (about 650 GB )to recover the files present. Kindly help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice