1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unusual Video Card / Windows problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ShadedNine, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadedNine

ShadedNine Thread Starter

I don't know exactly what to blame this error on, my video card, windows, or internet explorer. Here's how it goes:

When I launch, or just use internet explorer, sometimes, periodically, my screen flashes like it was changing resolution, freezes everything but the mouse (yep, keyboard locks up), flashes again, and then continues to work. It's usually windows explorer that does this, at least first, though every other windows based thing (explorer, my computer, add/remove progs, etc...) follows suit after IE has had it's go. A few times it crashes, and when I restart, everything looks all funky or it doesn't load windows (just flashes the screen over and over at the login prompt). A few tries at restarting and it works again.

I've tried updating my video card drivers to the newest (Geforce4 Ti4200) and to the ones that came on the card's CD. I've cleared CMOS and updated BIOS. I suspect it's a software issue, as I've recently reformatted, and it's only started since then. I've gotten an error message ONCE, see the log file attached.

Here's all the stats that I think might be pertinent to this issue:

Athlon XP 2200+ w/ SSE on ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
    BFG Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB 8X
    Windows XP w/ SP1 and DirectX 9.
    Monitor: Korea Data Systems Visual Sensations VS-7i
    Nvidia Display Driver 4.5.2.3 (Driver files Version 6.14.10.4523)
    I am not using coolbits, nor am I overclocking the gfx card or the CPU.

Any help or information at all would be appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of short of replacing my graphics card, which I'd really rather not have to do.

Attached Files:

2. Cookies

Cookies

What are you seeing in the event viewer?

Start/(settings)/control panel/admin tools/event viewer

Look under both the application and system branch. Post a screenshot if you can, or tell us what the error is.

Attached Files:

3. ShadedNine

ShadedNine Thread Starter

There were no errors pertaining to this issue except one related to the txt I attached. I got fed up anyway and reformatted (having just done so recently, backing up was a breeze). Sadly, this has not quite fixed the problem. IE isn't crashing anymore, but the graphics card is still acting up. 3DMark03 tests are chalk full of whatchamacallems, especially with the shadows, it looks awful. My old GF4MX card works just fine, so I played around with BIOS settings (to no avail), checked out my video card's warranty, and discovered it ends tomorrow, so I'll be taking it in today.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!