1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unwanted banner ads

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by trowden, Aug 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trowden

trowden Thread Starter

Even when IE is not running I keep getting these pesky ads
    or notices that say I've elected to download this ad .and the download box is there, I'll get up to 20 or 30 of these things until I run out of memory. then I have to reboot the computer and hook back up to dsl and its really starting to annoy me

any help would be appreciated.

Tom

2. brianF

brianF

I'm curious with IE closed you still get them. What software have you got running in the background that is allowing this.

If you go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter. Go to the left hand frame and click on software environment, click on the startup program tab, go to edit menu, choose select all, back to the edit menu, choose copy, paste the list back here.

3. trowden

trowden Thread Starter

PowerReg SchedulerV2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
    BMUpdate Registry (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BMUpdate.exe
    SurfChoice Registry (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SCMan.exe
    msbb Registry (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\MSBB.EXE /did=130 /duid=4741476
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
    VsecomrEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
    Keyboard Manager Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe
    Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\DirectCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
    PP3100B Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\paprport\3100b\flatbed.exe
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    W3KNetwork Registry (Machine Run) RunDll32.exe w3knet.dll,DLLInitRun
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    Encompass_ENCMONTR Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES

4. brianF

brianF

Hmmm my guess would be this one SurfChoice Registry
    Seems to be linked to an advertiser for websites.

Shut it off and see if the ads go with it.

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

The W3KNetwork entry is Spyware and from what I have seen it is also Ad intensive. It looks like it might be a little difficult to remove also. Check out this link.

http://drum.orcon.net.nz/Tucows/tucows index.html

BrianF can advise you better on this matter than I can though.

6. trowden

trowden Thread Starter

how do I turn it off

7. brianF

brianF

that one is not my forte, I guess you should follow the instructions on the web page John gave you. I didn't realize W3k was web3000, my bad.

8. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Sorry. My cat turned off my power strip.

Go to start > Run > type in MSCONFIG and click run.

Go to your Startup tab and uncheck the entry there. Click OK and restart your computer.

Let us know what happens.

9. trowden

trowden Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, as you can tell I'm sort of out of touch with
    the new stuff

I'm a old dos man

Thanks alot I'll get back to you and let you know how it went

10. brianF

brianF

I found this from an earlier post, Bryan pretty much knows what he is talking about on these.

First, if you want to get rid of the Spyware Web3000, you need to first uninstall the program that
    gives it to you. That's Netsonic. And here's the important part, you Must uninstall Netsonic using it's
    own uninstaller or Web3000 will be left behind. Do this,

First boot into SafeMode.

Restart the PC and keep tapping F8 during the bootup. You want to start tapping F8 after the drives
    are recognized on the screen but before the W98 splash screen. The startup menu with 6 options
    should appear. Use SafeMode option 3 to start Windows. Once windows starts in SafeMode do this

Start>Programs, now locate the Netsonic folder and run the Uninstall program in it's folder.

Now run AdAware and let it clean and delete everything it finds. When it's done click on
    Start>Shutdown>Restart to get back into Normal mode.

Now you need to restore a good copy of wsock32.dll because Web3000 replaces the Windows
    version with it's own version. Do this

Start>Run, key in SFC and press enter. At the bottom of the dialog box select "Extract one file from
    the installation disk". Now key in wsock32.dll and click on Start. Insert your W98 CD. If the
    "Restore From" box is empty, click on Browse and point it to the Win98 folder on the W98 CD in
    your CDRom drive. The "Save File To" should already be defaulted to c:\windows\system. Click on
    OK to restore it. Follow the prompts to restart the PC so the new copy of wsock32.dll is loaded.

Now run AdAware again. You should be clean.

Now do this, Start>Run, key in Msconfig and press enter. Click on the startup tab. Now remove the
    checkmark next to "Register MediaRing" and click on Apply. Follow the prompts to restart.

Now you shouldn't have anymore automatic dialups and you should also notice your PC runs alot
    better on and off the net now.

Let us know what happens

BTW, removing the Spyware may cause some of the "freeware" programs you have to not work any
    longer. Some may and some may not it depends on the software. The free ISP connections
    software is not effected in most cases I've seen. Anyway, you need to make a decision as to
    whether you want your PC to run smoothly or you want the freeware program. If you have to have the
    freeware program, then reinstall it and live with the spyware.

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you have problems removing the spyware, go <a href=http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html> here </a>, then on the Right side of the page, click on the little Yellow folder next to “Ad-aware 5.5 Final NEW 837 kb” to download AAW.exe. Once you've downloaded it, double left click on it to install it. Then look for the AdAware folder in Start>Programs and execute the program. Once it launches, on the Left side of the screen, be sure to select ScanRegistry(DeepScan), ScanMemory and Scan Fixed C: Drive from the directory tree on the Left side and then click on “Scan”. When it's done scanning, click on Continue and then select everything it lists and continue on to delete and clean it up.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, that post Brian copied from one of my earlier posts was a response to someone that I already knew had Netsonic installed on their PC. Web3000 can come with other freeware programs other than Netsonic.

And the newer versions of AdAware can usually clean up Web3000. The older versions didn't check the wsock32.dll file and often times, the removal of Web3000 would cause problems because the modified copy of wsock32.dll was left behind. The newer versions will warn you if it found a modified wsock32.dll file before it cleans up. If you get that warning, let it clean Web3000 but when it's done, immediately extract a new copy of wsock32.dll from the W98 CD using SFC.exe

12. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Thanks Bryan and BrianF. I think I was over my head with W3K.

I Think I'll go move my power strip.

13. trowden

trowden Thread Starter

I got the ad-aware program 5.5 and ran it seems to be working fine.

Thanks alot

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice