1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted dial-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Linpin, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Linpin

Linpin Thread Starter

Hi there,

My PC at home has started dialling up my ISP connection as soon as the PC is switched on. The dial-up dialogue box appears before the desktop icons do. I do not have an ADSL connection.

When I click on the icon in my system tray I can see that bytes are being sent and received. I've run MSCONFIG but I can't see any programs running in the background. I've run SpyBot, but again no nasties are evident.

I recently installed FreeFTP and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the culprit.

The only solution I've found so far is to keep the modem switched off - but this is only a temporary fix as you can appreciate. The dial-up dialogue box continues to appear each time the PC is switched on.

Do you have any ideas what may be going on here? Should I reinstall FreeFTP or uninstall it completely?

Is there anything else you could suggest to remedy this irritation?

Asus P4PE
    Pentium P4 2.4GHz
    512MB RAM
    Win98SE
    PC-Cillin 2003

Thanks

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

1st is there anything in your startup directory? If the dialer is there you can delete it. otherwise...

Type in MSconfig and click the last tab

Report whats there. You may be able to simply unclick the culprit so it doesn't load.

Otherwise it sounds like you might have one of those nasty dialers and it isn't dialing your isp. (watch your phone bill)

You might also want to run adaware and see if that finds anything.

Cheers

3. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

If all else fails check the program options to make sure no boxes are checked that say something about auto connect if no connection is presennt.

4. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Linpin,

Could you please download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

5. beekeeper

beekeeper

As with any problem, just recall what you changed on your pc at the time the problem began. If FreeFTP is the only recent change, it is the likely culprit. As AKA Arizona says, check the settings for FreeFTP and make sure auto connect is not checked. If no joy with that, remove FreeFTP and see if the problem continues. If it doesn't - you have a choice: Reinstall it and continue with the problem or don't reinstall it and live without FreeFTP. If you uninstall it and the problem continues - you may have to check the settings on all your startup programmes and make sure that autoconnect isn't ticked on any of them

6. Linpin

Linpin Thread Starter

AKA Arizona had it in one! I found the culprit, good old Internet Explorer. (William Henry Gates III - my hero!)

I right clicked on the IE icon, went to properties and clicked on the Connections tab.

The "Always Dial My Deafult Connection" option had been checked. I reset it to "Never Dial A Connection" and that did the trick.

Thanks to all who helped me - you guys did a far better job than my ISP's Technical Support did. Please take a well-earned bow.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice