1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted Files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by julind, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julind

julind Thread Starter

Last Friday I noticed a bunch of files ending with exe and a couple of others on my desktop. I don't know how they got there. My computer and mouse are very very slow, and I'm think it has something to do with those files. I tried right clicking on them and cutting but they won't go away. Can you help? thanks. Julind

2. norton850

norton850

Files/icons on the desktop are usually just shortcuts and can safely be removed.
    The question is how did they get there and do they have anything to do with things running slow. Sometimes unexpected icons appear when you installed something that puts icons you don't want on the desktop or it's just a shortcut to the program that you just installed. What are the names of some of these files?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I suspect that your computer has become infected with some "nasties".

Do you have a full-time antivirus program installed and up-to-date and and running in the background?

Do you use Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and/or Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05(which are 2 of the best spyware detection-and-removal programs out there)? If not, click the link below and read the article about spyware. It'll provide you with the download links and instructions that you need.

Go to the spyware tools section at http://www.majorgeeks.com and download HijackThis 1.98.2. Run the HijackThis.exe file and post a copy of the log here.

4. julind

julind Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    A friend cleaned up my computer and reinstalled everything, virus scanner, firewall and all. But the computer performance is not optimum and its driving me crazy. I will post my as I go along. Thanks

5. tracer357#1

tracer357#1 Banned

before you remove anything check your "add/remove programs" and see just what has been installed.
    also post what new icons you see on your desktop.
    as advised they could be shortcuts to a program that your friend installed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice