1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted folders appearing on my root c drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EddyLarge, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EddyLarge

EddyLarge Thread Starter

Ever since I have had my new HP laptop, every day one or two folders appear on the root c drive with a long jumbled name of letters and numbers. :eek: In any one such folder there is a large text file of apparently meaningless data. On the advice of knowledgeable friends I just get deleting them. My comp is running fine otherwise but I want to stop these folders appearing - am afraid its some kind of chronic virus. Any ideas anybody? :confused:

2. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi and Welcome to TSG!

Can you give some of the names of these folders please?

Kind Regards
    Anthony

3. EddyLarge

EddyLarge Thread Starter

Thanks.. my most recent random folder is called 0b2f20e095b1d0b447bda564 and the text file inside is called msxml4-KB927978-enu.

Thanks for your help!

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

See this article regarding your post #3: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=927978
    If you are seeing a lot of similar folders in your root directory, my guess is because Windows Installer is not cleaning up after itself after installing updates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice