1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted home page ?!?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Gant, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gant

Gant Thread Starter

Hi..I'm new here so please bear with me.

Every time I switch on my pc and go online I get a web page come up that has replaced my home page of choice. A search engine I've never heard of and don't want.
    I go into settings/general and delete it and put in my own web page of choice only to have it reappear next time I go online. Is there any way I can get rid of this for good and keep my home page of choice permenantly.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Sponsor

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gant
    Welcome to TSG!
    Sounds like you have a homepage hijacker on board and possible other problems. I will move your thread to the security section where the guru's there will help.

Dave

4. beekeeper

beekeeper

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Gant, Welcome to TSG.

It may or may not be a Cool Web Search hijack, but running CWS is fine.

On that same page beekeeper referred you to is another application called Hijack This. Download HJT and then post the log scan here that the application generates. Don't fix anything yourself. Folks here can see what's on the log and make further recommendations.

:)

6. Gant

Gant Thread Starter

Thanks big time fellas....:D
    I followed your advice and I think it's worked... No more cool search.
    Thankyou very much.. It was really starting to get annoying.
    Don't know what I can do to repay you... maybe a beer if ya ever down London way.

Thanks again.

7. winchester73

winchester73

Gant:

You may have some other things as well, so posting your HJT log here for review might ease your mind ...

You might also wish to run something like Ad-Aware to clean up any other objects, following this link: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164245

For prophylaxis:

SpywareBlaster v2.6.1 and SpywareGuard v2.2, to prevent Active-X drive-by installations, as well as provide real-time browser hijacking protection: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html

IE-SPYAD, a registry file that adds a long list of known "sites" to the Restricted Sites of your Internet Explorer: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

8. eagleleigh

eagleleigh

Hi Guys/Gals :)

Just wanted to say a big THANX to all.
    I too, had this very same problem, this 'smart search' homepage kept coming back, no matter how many times I deleted it/changed the homepage (i spent hours trying to get rid of it, and I couldn't even open a webpage in my browser without getting this smartsearch prefix.)
    I downloaded an ran the shredder and VIOLA - no more smart search :)
    It is great to know that there are ppl on this board that are so willing and helpful with their tech know-how.
    So thanks again ppls, I'm sure I can learn a thing or two from these forums :)

Eagleleigh

9. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi eagleleigh and welcome to TSG. That's good that you got your problem resolved. CWShredder is a wonderful application, but it's not designed to cure all possible hijack/pest problems on a pc.

I would still would recommend you download Hijack This from the same site you got CWShredder. Read the instructions for generating a log of your system and then post your log here. Don't fix anything yourself. Folks here can check it out and see if there's anything else going on beyond the reach of CWS.

:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/191784