1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted Info on Title Bars

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Erdington, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Erdington

Erdington Thread Starter

About 2 months ago I noticed that I've got additional text after the normal Title Bar message on all Title Bars belonging to any application I run. For instance, at the moment I've got Internet Explorer open to send this message. On the blue title bar across the top of the screen is the IE logo followed by: "Tech Support Guy Forums - Microsoft Internet Explorer Sun Nov 11, 2001 18:31 Redditch Birmingham England United Kingdom".

Once upon a time I would only have seen the first seven words of this message, but what follows is added to every application I run, always. Someone suggested that the Registry entry for the title bar needs editing. I've tried looking in the Registry for any trace of the additional text, with no joy. I've searched the entire pc for the same text (and parts of it) to see if I can see where it's coming from, but again I can't find it.

This isn't a major problem; the applications work well all the time, but I find it frustrating that I can't get rid of something that I feel I should be able to! Can anyone help?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Are you using XP?

buck

3. $teve

$teve

erdington.........i think this is what your looking for........If you wish you can change the Internet Explorer title to something more appealing than Microsoft Internet Explorer, if you wish to do so take the following steps. Click on Start, Run, type in regedit & hit Enter. Open the following registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]. Now Add/Edit a New String Value entitled Window Title. In the Value data field enter your desired title, then hit Ok. NOTE - Using a custom title may interfere with some programs, e.g. AllAdvantage Viewbar (Although they have closed down now so it's not really much of an issue).
    You can also change the Outlook Express title by opening the following registry key. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{xxx}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0], where xxx represents the Identity number displayed. Add/Edit a New String Value entitled WindowTitle. Right click on this setting & select Modify. In the Value data field enter your desired title, then hit Ok.
    hope this helps you out.
    good luck.
    ;)

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

$teve

That registry tweak works fine for 98SE but the Window Title is not present in XP .( At least that I can find). It must be hiding elsewhere.

I also tried adding a new string value but that didn't work either

It's got me going now :)

buck

5. Erdington

Erdington Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I should have included it in my original - I'm using Windows 2000.

Thanks for the help so far, I'll try the suggestions.

6. $teve

$teve

thanx buck......for the info on xp,i dual boot 98/2k and it works on both platforms.......never thought about xp,good to know though.
    and.........we have an up-date from erdington........2k huh?
    ;)

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

$teve

I must have done something wrong the first time...
    Window Title was not there but I just tried adding it as a new string value again and after a reboot it worked :)

Not sure if it was just me that didn't have that value or if XP doesn't have it to start with. At any rate it's there now and it works.

I hope Erdington solves his riddle

buck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice