1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted page at boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Penny Honey, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penny Honey

Penny Honey Thread Starter

When I start the computer, it shows the desktop for a second, then a file opens. I just have to click the red "X" in the top right corner and it goes back to the desktop, but how do I get rid of the file that opens. It is called "common" and there's nothing in it.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What program is "common" opening in? Or is it a file folder?
    Click the Help menu to see what program -- if it just says About Windows, then it is a folder that is opening in My Computer. If so, check the address bar to see the full path to this folder. If the address bar is not displayed, click View | Toolbars and check it. If your system is not set to display the full path, you can click the down arrow at the right end of the address bar, and that will let you see just where this "Common" folder is located. paste that path into your next reply.
    Or, you can click Tools | Folder Options..., View tab, and check one of the Display the full path in the ??? bar options.

Whether it's a folder, or a file opening in a program, we need to find out where it's starting from. Copy and paste the following code into Notepad, then save it on your desktop as Runkey.bat Be sure you set the Save As Type: setting to All Files. Then double click the file. A notepad window will open up. Paste the contents into your next reply.
    Code:
    if exist regkey.txt del regkey.txt
    >> regkey.txt reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /s
    >> regkey.txt reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /s
    >> regkey.txt reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v DesktopProcess
    Start regkey.txt 
    Exit
    Also, check the startup folder (Start | All Programs | Startup) to see if there is anything in there.

HTH

Jerry

3. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Is it by any chance a folder called
    Common Files
    If so you should probably post a hijackthis log on the malware board.

4. Penny Honey

Penny Honey Thread Starter

The computer in question is at my parents place, Ill give these suggestions a go the next time I'm there. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!