Unwanted program files deletion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cj47

Hi,

Having loaded a couple of things onto my pc that i now do not want, i am having the follow problems getting rid of.

(1) A box comes up saying its searching for a shortcut......then says it can not find it. I just close box to get rid of it. How can I stop this happening each time i start pc.

(2) I have a shortcut on desktop that i wish to get rid of as i do not want the program, but it will not let me delete either the program or icon as it says it's used by windows, but i have only just loaded it by mistake, and i want to get rid of it. any suggestions for my plight please.

Hi cj47,

Does the box that is searching for a shortcut gives you any indication as to the name of the program it is trying to run? If so click on Start > Run and type in msconfig.

Then click on the Startup tab. Look down the list for the offending process and uncheck it.

You will be prompted to reboot.

Regarding the icon "in use ..." try booting up in Safe Mode. Constantly tap f8 after switching on - you will be presented with the start up menu - select Safe Mode. You will get a strange appearance to your graphics when you boot up. See if you can delete the prog. from here.

blues_harp28

Hi..in addtion to above advice..
Use Add-Remove programs in control panel.remove from there first...then check files and folders..Again remove..Finally desktop icons..

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
CJ47:

There are proper ways to getting rid of unwanted programs and their leftover entries, and they should be done in a certain order.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then uninstall the program.

2. Go to C:\Program Files, then delete the program's leftover folder - if it's still there after uninstalling the program.

3. Go to the desktop and the Start - Programs menu, then delete the program's leftover icon and entry - if it's still there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online