1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unwanted programs at start up!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dandymike, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dandymike

dandymike Thread Starter

i have recently installed sky anytime and not so long after 4od. both these programs use another program called khost.exe to run.

i have deleted the entries from the registry, i have used msconfig. all this does work and the next time i boot it doesn't automatically start.

sky and 4od both need manually starting after ive done this, but when i manually start one or the other when i restart my computer they auto startup again and again and again!!!:mad:

2. JackDogg

JackDogg

hi,
    i'm not familiar with those programs you mention, but i had a similar scenario with Yahoo Msg. I unchecked Yahoo in msconfig to prevent it from starting up, at startup. rebooted after the change, checked msconfig >>>> and ((( yahooooooo ))) the Yahoo Msg entry was still unchecked and Yahoo did not start automatically. Great ! i then started Yahoo Msg manually, next time i booted up 'puter after that, the Y Msg starts up automatically AGAIN ! :eek: It was driving me crazy :mad:

to cut a long story short mate, someone suggested that Yahoo Msg prob has an option WITHIN the program to disable automatic start up when Windows boots. i found it within Yahoo, disabled it, and Y Msg has never started automatically at bootup since :)

check within your programs. is there a "disable start up" option ?

:cool:

3. dandymike

dandymike Thread Starter

ive already looked, and from what i can see it seems like the programs reset the settings at each restart!!

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

5. hewee

hewee

Info from: WinPatrol Plus.

GameSpot – KHOST.EXE

Khost.exe installs with many of the games from GameSpot including Doom, Half-Life, EverQuest, WarCraft. It appears as though this file is needed for the interactive or multiplayer functions of these programs.

This file is also used with GameSpot Secure Delivery. If you'd like to get rid of the Secure Delivery plug-in, instructions can be found at http://www.gamespot.com/misc/help/faq3b_uninstall.html.

The technology behind the secure delivery is the Kontiki Delivery Management System, a secure delivery network for distribution of video, software, audio, documents, and other digital media. More info can be found at: http://www.kontiki.com.

# Safe

GameSpot
    Kontiki DMS DoFooter();

6. dandymike

dandymike Thread Starter

thanx mystic eyes, this program does work the once and then it resets itself the next time. good software tho.

hewee, the links you provided do not seem to point to where you say they do. anyhow the solutions you provide are to stop khost, all i want to do is prevent the apps (4od, sky anytime, khost) starting at start up. thanx

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"WinPatrol" [http://www.winpatrol.com/] is a very useful program in several ways, including helping to monitor/disable/delete startups.

{redoak}

8. hewee

hewee

WinPatrol is a must have program. Your get a alert anytime something get added to startup and you can say no. You can disable programs from startup. For some trouble programs that keep getting added back to startup you may have to disable it again. WinPatrol will now remember and make sure that program was disabled and keep it from loading again.
    See Dealing with Repeating Alerts

9. claws

claws

10. hewee

hewee

No need to by Auslogics Boost-Speed. I also think claws is just spamming.

11. claws

claws

I find Hewee's remark about spamming quite offensive. :mad:
    There is no need to buy anything at all, there are plenty of free programs available. I happen to like the one I mentioned.
    I see there appears to be no objection to other programs mentioned here, including Win Patrol, mentioned more than once by Hewee, and Start up CPL, which I also have on my PC.:confused:

12. hewee

hewee

We get lots of spammer here all the time and it is there first post pointing to site where things are not free. Plus to many also have just like that site does a parter program were people get paid to post.
    You only had the one post but we have had it many times works with posting the same post all over the site. If you had just join then the link you posted would not even be clickable because they had to do that because of spam.
    So if your not spamming I am sorry.

13. claws

claws

Thank-you Hewee. I am new to forums and mentioned the program because it seemed relevant to Dandymike's problem. I was happy to find a solution myself to too many unwanted programs at start up . Are you saying only free programs are to be suggested? There are free programs also by the company I mentioned. Anyway I will read the rules properly. Dandymike, I hope you find a solution to your problem
    Claws

14. hewee

hewee

WinPatrol does have free and paid versions and is one great program that has been around over 10 years. It was only free at first and now has a paid version but both still do a lot of things and help protect you.
    I am not saying only free programs are to be suggested but was saying how spammer join and post on software and they are not free.
    Then on lots of programs the free version works as good or better then getting the same program from others that only have a paid version. Then other software if a company has both free and paid there is from a small gap to a big gap in the protection you get.

15. claws

claws

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice