1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted Service keeps coming back

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skudge, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

The highlighted service is keeps coming back after I end it.
    How do I permanently stop this service?

[​IMG]

2. weeGeordie

weeGeordie

I'm not so sure you should be getting rid of it. I found this description of it at Microsoft's support site:

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Here's a link to the complete article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP&NoWebContent=1

3. dabwid

dabwid

Run a search on Google use svchost.exe. There is all kinds of info on it.

4. mobo

mobo

Svhost is the generic name for windows running services.As long as your running windows you cannot shutdown svhost..

5. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

I end it all the time and nothing happens. I think it's got to do with Nortons internet security.

It says network service and Im not even on a network!

6. mobo

mobo

If you're looking to trim down then download Nero and disable iamapp cd burner service.

7. weeGeordie

weeGeordie

Windows needs svchost to do it's job. Leave it alone and focus your attention on something more productive. You will only cause yourself problems by trying to get rid of it.

8. DVOM

DVOM

"It says network service and Im not even on a network!"

When you connect to the internet, you're on a network.

9. Skudge

Skudge Thread Starter

When I connect to the internet Im on the internet, when I connect to a network I'm on a Network.

Besides, when I disable it nothing happens even when I'm on the net. That means that my system does'nt need it!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice