1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unwanted Software Pop Ups

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by The Keeper, Aug 21, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. The Keeper

The Keeper Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gary
    I have Corel PaintShop Pro, a photo editing program on my computer. Every year when they have a new software update, a pop-up window appears advertising the new program and a special price if I want to update. Several months prior to the new software update promotion, I will receive a pop-up advertising last year's update at a substantially reduced price. Is there anyway stop these pop-up advertisements from constantly appearing?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5871 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4250 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 577 GB (412 GB Free); M: 2794 GB (2784 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, DX4320
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can block PhotoShop at the firewall so that it can't talk to the internet, then it wouldn't get to receive notices that a new upgrade is coming.

Go to Windows Administration Tools > Windows Advanced Firewall. Then click on the outbound tab on the left. Then make a new rule to Block PhotoShop going out.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    lol at "constantly" which occurs "every year".

You should also be able to disable "check for updates" which is likely what is triggering the notification.

The Keeper likes this.
  4. The Keeper

First Name:
    Gary
    Regarding "constantly" which occurs "every year" - Yes there is a new update to the program every year but the pop ups do constantly appear every time I close the program, reminding me an updated program is available. Toward the latter part of the year, the price keeps dropping so that by the end of the year, you can purchase last years version for $19.99 instead of $100. So yes, the popups do occur constantly and not once a year

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sorry, it was just amusing to me when I read it.

Having said that, as I noted above, the messages can be disabled. This should be the process:

To turn off Messages in Corel® PaintShop Pro, follow these steps:
    1. Open up PaintShop Pro.
    2. Click on the Corel Guide. ...
    3. Click on the Product Information and Preferences icon to the right of the Messages tab.
    4. Click on Message Preferences.
    5. Uncheck Keep me informed with the latest product related messages.
    6. Click OK.

6. The Keeper

First Name:
    Gary
    Thanks so much for your reply. I am pleased you found some humor in my post. I also had to chuckle when i re-read it. Funny thing is, I read other people's wording and get a laugh and then write something myself and don't pay that much attention to the wording.

I am unable to find the Corel guide that you referenced in your reply. I have to versions of PaintShop Pro......X6 on an older computer and Ultimate 2019 on a newer one. I am unable to find the guide on either one. Will you be so kind and assist me further in finding it? Thanks much

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  8. The Keeper

First Name:
    Gary
    Oddba11...............Thank you very much for going the extra effort to provide me detailed information which is very helpful. Sometimes "thank you's" just don't seem enough. You have been very kind and it is much appreciated. Also appreciated is including instructions for Window 7. I have an old version of PaintShop on another computer and receive the same pop ups so I can also eliminate the pop ups for that computer.

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You are very welcome. Glad that I could help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice