1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unwanted startup entries

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by diane49, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diane49

diane49 Thread Starter

what is regcompress it keeps appearing when i restart my computer. also vschost and MsStartOptimizer. i use the program codestuff starter and always find these entries on the startup list. how did they get in my startup folder, and how do i get rid of them permanently so they dont keep coming back?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I think you may have a trojan...

Have you done a virus scan recently?

When you hit ctrl-alt-delete, is there a program called winupd.exe running?

3. NT4.0

NT4.0

if you are using Windows 98 and not Windows 2000 or XP, then you do have a virus/trojan. many of them pretend to be svchost.exe which is a system file of 2000/XP but not 98.

check your Startup folder in the Start menu; if you see something suspicious, view the link's properties and find the file it links to. also check your registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run, \RunOnce and \RunServices (run c:\windows\regedit.exe for that). there is a list of startup programs. you could also use FAR Manager which has an excellent process list (some of the viruses hide themselves even in the Windows process list, but not FAR's) plus a lot more, it's free at http://farmanager.com and scan your computer for viruses using the antivirus program that you have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice