1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unwanted taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rider321, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rider321

rider321 Thread Starter

Hi All please help I have xp pro and have somehow aquired another taskbar undeneith my main taskbar that has the icons . It is a blank taskbar .How can I get it to go away? Thanks for your help .

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sounds like you have been the recipient of some spyware. Download and run both spybot and ad-aware.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you have finished with that [if you still have the task bar] run hijack this and post a log. That should help find the problem.

4. rider321

rider321 Thread Starter

I still have it .What is the url for highjack this ?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is hijack this. Have you run both spybot and ad-aware with updates?

6. rider321

rider321 Thread Starter

Hi I am new where do I find spy bot and adware ? Do i need to run them both to get rid of my unwanted extra taskbar ? Thanks rider321

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Spybot Ad-aware make sure you run the update for both programs before you do a scan.

I would use both in your case; sometimes one will pickup something the other missed.

8. rider321

rider321 Thread Starter

Thank ya kindly but they did'nt help. Looks like I am going to have to live with an extra taskbar . rider321

9. cassandra

cassandra

This might sound silly, but bare with me, I've had this asked of me before. Are you sure this taskbar is 'extra', or have you perhaps inadvertantly extended the default taskbar?
    Put your mouse at the top of the taskbar, and it'll turn the cursor into a little up and down 'arrow' cursor. When you have the arrow cursor, left click and hold, while you move your mouse down (this is the method for resizing your taskbar).
    This is just a guess, but I think (since you say you have no spyware that installed an additional taskbar), that you probably resized your own taskbar without realizing it. You wouldn't be the first to do so, trust me (or be the first to ask how it went to the side/top of the computer). Good luck.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you able to post a screen shot of the task bar in question? Hit the print screen key, go to an image program like paint or Irfanview and click edit>paste. Save the image as a jpeg type of file and post it here.

11. rider321

rider321 Thread Starter

Thanks ,but i have aquired an extra taskbar, which is blank and is beneath my primary taskbar with icons,that with everyones help and what I have done won't go away. I guess i will have to live with it, short of reinstalling XP. rider321

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice