Unwanted wireless connected to my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sarah06779

I've noticed a lot of people here seem to have problems connecting a wireless to their computers, but I have the opposite problem. I strongly suspect that there is a wireless computer connected to my desktop. (XP SP2).

I am really a PC novice, so I'm hoping someone can help me determine if I actually have this unwanted connection.

I recently bought my daughter a wireless, purchased a Linksys router and proceeded to add it to my computer's internet connection.

In control panel I clicked on "add a wireless connection". When the wizard opened there are two options. Either: "set up a new wireless network" OR "add a new computer to the "(my last name)" network.

I have no idea where that network came from. I've never instructed my computer to use my last name.

Also, after clicking on "Network Connections", there is a "subnet mask" IP address listed in addition to mine. I don't know if I should even be concerned about this.

On top of this, sometimes when I go to log off, I get a message "other people are using your computer. If you log off now, they may lose data."

AND after a weekend visit with their father, my kids told me "Daddy has a new laptop and he doesn't have to pay for internet service ... he uses his "neighbor's" service. (He is, BTW, a computer professional and I know without a doubt that he has spied on me in the past.)

Am I just being overparanoid?? If I do, in fact have this wireless connected to me, does this person have access to my internet activity or just the service itself?

I just want to know how to block that connection.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for your patience for reading this whole thing!!

Sarah

"other people are using your computer. If you log off now, they may lose data."
That is normal I think if you don't log out of an account before you switch the computer off. It has nothing to do with the internet (I think) (Is it Windows XP/98?)

"add a new computer to the "(my last name)" network.
I think this is normal. If you've set up a network between the 2 computers, or have connected them at some point. As for your last name that is probably the name you called your computer when you first set it up. But I'm on shakey ground here as I'm not entirely sure.

AND after a weekend visit with their father, my kids told me "Daddy has a new laptop and he doesn't have to pay for internet service ... he uses his "neighbor's" service
Hee! Yes well that can be done, especially if the connection isn't password protected. It's very easy to do. Go practically anywhere in a built up place and you'll probably get loads of wireless conections! If you have a wi-fi enabled laptop you can do that very easily.

Am I just being overparanoid?? If I do, in fact have this wireless connected to me, does this person have access to my internet activity or just the service itself?
I don't think you do have someone connected to you (I could be wrong, I'm not an expert at these things!), in theory they could use your connection (if someone wanted to use it) but if you have firewalls/passwords etc you should be ok.

I'm sorry I can't help more, I only know a little about these things!

sarah06779

Thanks so much for your response. (Yes ... it's XP.) You've put my mind to ease.

It's just so frustrating trying to understand what's going on in the mind of a machine that's a million times smarter than me.

I keep a lot of personal stuff on this thing and can't stand the thought of being violated ... but I guess it happens all the time.

It's also comforting to gain a little understanding of what the wireless is capable of ... I could care less if they're just sharing my connection ... I just wasn't sure if they're capable of watching my activity.

I appreciate it. I'll sleep a little better tonight!!

Sarah

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online