1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unzip utility that fits on diskette for sys w/out internet?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by yahoos, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

I need an unzip program that would fit on a diskette so I can transfer it to a computer that has no internet connection. <1.4mb

Hi. I have a friends computer who needs a driver for the graphics card. I don't know what type of card it is.

I know the computer model NEC Ready 9702. Monitor is Multisync 3FGX, and I found the monitor driver easily, but on search for graphics card I must need more data as I can't locate one.

I want to put AIDA32 (sys information) on that system so I can find out the card, but that computer does not have internet connection.

I need to get an unzip program on that computer to unzip the AIDA.

However, floppy only holds 1.4. mb, which I need to put it on to transfer to the NEC computer.

I've looked on a download cdnet site, but do not see a small unzip for win98se.

Is there such a utility that would fit on a diskette?

Thanks for your help.

Yahoos

2. NewtonW

NewtonW

If you have XP or 2000, You already have the means to create a self extracting archive that you can put on the disk. I know win 2000 and XP have this feature, but I'm not sure about other windows versions.
    Click "Start" then "Run" then type in IEXPRESS and follow the prompts to get exactly what you want. This will allow you to pack files into a self extracting package (exe). TIP: In the second dialog box, select "extract files only", this should keep your file size down and allow you to unpack from the disc.
    Hope this helps..

-Newton

3. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am using win98se to (my system) to get on diskette for the other system. Aida is already compressed. I need a small utility of unzip that will fit on a diskette, so I can unzip AIDA on the other system.

Sincerely,

Yahoos

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can make self extracting archives with most Zip Programs. This way they dont need an Unzipping utility.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Thank you so much!

Thank you for giving me sites to find them at also.

Take care, yahoos

7. hewee

hewee

You could get...
    Chainsaw
    A free file splitting tool.

http://www.schmeusser.siw.de/software/chainsaw.html

It works great.

http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=1

Said to be the same thing or very close the same thing.

So get the aida32.exe before it's gone because it is not being updated anymore but it is still good. Will looks like you can't get get the aida32.exe from there site because it is close and it take you to the site I posted. :)

8. Ratboy

Ratboy

9. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

That Chainsaw is great! Breaks the programs down to 1 diskette size, and works fine.

I didn't have my volume on, but I bet it must sound pretty good when it runs. lol

Thanks all for your help!

10. hewee

hewee

Yes the Chainsaw works great and it's very fast too.
    Just have it put file back together in another folder and not in the same folder that you got a file from to chop up because it will over right the file without asking you.
    I have not had any trouble with it but you never know if there is something that it ever goofs up on you don't what to lose a good copy of what every you had to start with.
    It has a check box to pick where you want the file to be restore to so use it.

11. dmneoblade

dmneoblade

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!