1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

up dating anti virus program

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jabk36, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jabk36

jabk36 Thread Starter

Windows XP

Very much a beginner on computors.

Received an e-mail from Norton that antivirus subscription was running out, Oct. 26, and I needed to update.

When I click button to do so, am ask if I want to update or upgrade. Which should I do?
    Also was ask if I wanted to download or in the box?
    Was thinking of buying locally and installing. If I do that will I have to delete the old copy first?
    Told you I was a beginner....

Checked to see which version of Norton I have and got the following:
    2000-2002
    version 8.07.17c
    Norton antivirus ( OEM) for Dell ( 90)

Thanks in advance....

2. $teve

$teve

3. mobo

mobo

Agree with purchasing the physical program as you could always install it , uninstall it or in the event you have to reformat your pc you could reinstall it again...As well if at the year end of subscriptions you delete Norton from your system and reinstall it you would not be on the hook for a fee for another year of subscriptions.

4. BillC

BillC

Charlie & Steve,

I too have Norton 2003 and will need to do something by year end. I think I'm going to keep 2003 and just buy a renewal suscription. The current version works fine. I could avoid the potential problems of uninstalling-installing etc.

AS I understand it, the scan engine in 2004 has not changed just that "product activation" feature folks tend not to like. Plus, from observation it appears unwanted problems sometimes occur with upgrades and reinstalling, etc.

As long as things work, there are no real advancements in the scan engine, and I'm willing to pay Symantec would you change?

BillC

5. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Don`t bother . 2003 seems to run smooth with little or no errors . Do you have your norton disc ?

6. BillC

BillC

Yep. I have a disc with 2003 and a year subscription I got with System Works I never installed, because I had previously bought the 2003AV as a stand alone program from....get this....Symantec! That was before I trusted ebay and online purchasing.

I think I'll be plain and just buy the year's subscription when the time comes.

7. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

When it expires , delete norton from your system and pop in your disc and install . You should get another year`s protection with-out paying norton.

8. BillC

BillC

I thought I may just do that. At one point I was thinking about trying Kaspersky because I've read some good things about it. But, Norton has served me well and gets along with my ZAP firewall.

Thanks for your comments.

9. jabk36

jabk36 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
    Since I have 2002 would it be okey to keep it and just do update?
    The upgrade was just $10.00 more, that's why I thought might be just as well to go for the 2004 version.
    I thought it would be just a matter of removing the older version and installing the new one. After reading a bit I am not so sure....
    Virus' take the fun out of computers!!!

Jo

10. mobo

mobo

I have tried Kapersky as well and i can say that when you finaly get it configured to work which takes a lot of trial and patience it does work well but not nessecarily better then norton and if you do what 700mb 80min said you will not have to pay for subscription. Just the way I prefer :D

11. BillC

BillC

Thanks for your info on Kaspersky. I too think Norton does it for me.

And jabk36, I've read that the 2004 version is functionaly about the same as yours, so you might want to save the $10.

12. mobo

mobo

All your paying for is the activation and who needs the headache as long as you continue to have the exact same virus database...

13. jabk36

jabk36 Thread Starter

So sounds like I just get the update. I'm all for saving money. Though it was $29.00.. only two choices I had, update or upgrade. Still have a few days to think it over...
    Thanks again.........Jo

14. mobo

mobo

Call it a birthday present :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice