1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upconverting a Coax signal to 16 x 9

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Opinyawn, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

DVD players are able to upconvert a "non" HDMI signal to fill the 16 x 9 format and imitate the full HMDI size picture while strengthening the color of the signal.

Question 1. I would like to buy a upconverter box/plug/whatever that has a coax cable imput for a signal back fed from a Dishnetwork receiver with an HDMI input to put into the HDMI input of a 1080 TV.

Does anyone know the way do do that, or where to buy the upconverter box/plug?

Question 2. How long is practical for an HDMI cable for sending a signal from a Dishnetwork type HDMI signal to another room?

Thanx in advance for any help,

Opinyawn

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the TV will upscale and should also have a facility to change the screen size
    Note if the signal is not broadcast in 16:9 then there will be some distortion to the signal to fill the screen or you get areas on the screen with no image
    this is normal on older 4:3 format pictures - you have a distorted , cut image to fill the screen or black areas down the side

whats the make and model of the TV ?

what equipment do you currently have for the Satellite signal to TV ?

also check the broadcast quality and signal being sent to you - what are the settings ?

these are considered good upscalers
    http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=hdp_details

but no Satellite input

3. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

I appreciate the return, but what I am interested in is simply a device that has a coax input that will take a 4x3 signal presentation and change it to 16x9 coming out in a HDMI plug. That is done with some enhancement inclued in inexpensive upconvert DVD players. My main purpose is to take a 4x3, or letterbox signal and change it to16x9 to utilize the whole screen on a 1080 TV. Any enhancement/strengthing of the signal would be a bonus.

I assume if low priced DVD upconvert Players can do it, that a separate box could be made to do it No????????

Thanx in advance for any help,

Opinyawn

4. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

Duplicated post for unknown reason?????

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

I don't think "upconvert" means what you think it means.

A 4:3 broadcast cannot be "stretched" to 16:9 without distortion. No such device exists to do want you want.

6. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

Now that you made me think about it, it seems obvious that you are right. Duh!

I suspect that I have my DVD player set to present the picture in 16x9 and it is simply zooming to fill the screen and I missed the obvious because I didn't actually select zoom. The quality of DVD's I have made is enhanced by the upconverting feature as the colors are stronger and it appears the resolution is slightly improved. (Is that true, or the placebo affect/my imagination?)

I looked up a definition of upconverting and it listed "scaling" as part of upconverting potential effect. Could you give me a definition of "upconverting" as related to Upconverting DVD Players?

Thanx for the response,

Opinyawn

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is true, and if you look at the reviews of some of the DVD players , you will see the upscaler performance also reviewed - I believe Denon had one of the best upscalers a few years ago

And as i posted in #2
    I dont know of a standalone upscaler/upconverter, that will take the Satellite signal - I know them as an upscaler
    BUT the TV will also have an upscaler as the TV panel has a fixed number of pixels and so has to adjust the resolution

if the TV is full 1080 HD
    them it will have 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels down
    in order to fill the screen from a SD TV signal at 720 x 576 pixels, it will need to guess the pixels to make the picture fill the screen.
    So you should already have some upscaling taken place - the quality will depend on the device they use of course

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/jargon-buster-all-you-need-to-know-about-upscaling

What the make and model of the TV you have , size of screen
    and also the make and model of the Satellite tuner you have

8. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

Thanx very much for the info.

Opinyawn

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you mean HDMI output to HDMI input? Why can't you do that?

I just noticed that long cable question. Save yourself time and get an additional receiver from Dish. Should be about $5.

10. Opinyawn

Opinyawn Thread Starter

I agree!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice