1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update and IE upgrade not working (resolved)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dicky1, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dicky1

dicky1 Thread Starter

I recently used this site among others to solve a problem and thought I would post it to help someone else out. I was working on my sisters computer which is running Windows 98 (not SE). It had a modem but had never connected to the internet before, despite being nearly 3 years old.
    I used my account details and could surf the net and get mails fine. I wanted to use windows update but couldn't get on the site. It never did the usual collecting information or anything.
    I checked everything suggested such as admin privaliges, turning down security, allowing Active-X etc and still no joy. I didn't have a windows update folder or a WUV3is.dll file so couldn't do anything with that. As I surfed the microsoft pages I kept getting script errors, but only on that site.
    In the end I decided to try updating the IE from V.4.72 to V.5.
    I downloaded the update but it wouldn't install. I kept getting a notice that I should close all my applications (there were none open) and try again. I tried a copy from an ISP disk but the same result.
    After much surfing of various sites like this I found a piece on the CABINET.DLL, which unzips windows components, I got a copy of the internet and installed it with SFC and bingo, the IE update installed and then connected straight to the MS site and ran the update. It also installed the updates folder and the WUV3is.dll and relevant files.
    I had an old version of IE which had never been updated and wasn't supported by the MS site anymore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!