1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update BIOS on ACER V3-471G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrpunch, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrpunch

mrpunch Thread Starter

I have an older Acer laptop, purchased in 2012 which shipped without an OS (or with FreeDos or something) so I installed a genuine copy of Windows 7.

I've since updated to W10 and would like to update the BIOS to UEFI to enable features such as secure boot.

When I try to run the .exe to update the BIOS I get the error message "Not allow to flash secure BIOS on current platform". I assume this is because my Hard Drive is currently partitioned as MBR not GPT.

For me, the "solution" would be to somehow flash the BIOS offline and reinstall the OS from scratch, or could I do the same offline flash and convert the partition table using the windows tool or 3rd party software.

How would I flash it (if this the right way to go) - I only have an .exe not a binary file.

Is it even worth the risk?

I'm not an expert but I consider myself competent enough to do this if given instructions.

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First are you sure the bios update has a fix you want/need?
    Next read your manual and be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your laptop unbootable ie junk.

Converting to gpt is pretty easy. I believe it is build 1703 and later that has a built in utility for just this task. Here is a link that explains how to use the utility;
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

I have never seen a bios update that changes a system from a legacy bios to uefi. Are you really sure this update does in fact accomplish this task?

3. mrpunch

mrpunch Thread Starter

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you are asking about is a modded bios NOT a bios from the mfg. This is completely up to you; might work fine and it might brick your laptop. If you can afford to replace the laptop with a new one, then you can try the modded bios. If you cannot afford to replace the laptop, then I would NOT be attempting to flash the bios with a modded file.

plodr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice