1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update..... "Dead Frozen Mouse"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dazeeandconfused, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dazeeandconfused

dazeeandconfused Thread Starter

Ok, here's what has happened so far. Went and got new batteries, and a new mouse (just in case that was the problem). Put new batteries in and the "original" wireless mouse worked for about 1 hour and 15 minutes before it froze.......disappeared...and then I got the message asking if I wanted to restart or sign off from (ISP). I then tried the new mouse "not a wireless". It worked for only about 10-15 minutes before I got the same message. Now this may or may not have anything to do with whats happening with the freezing of the mouse. After I shut down the computer (both times) I got this error message on a blue screen(?)

"an error has occurred. To continue press enter to go to Windows or Press CTL+ALT+DEL to restart." "File Name - VWIN 32 (05) +000012 DO Error: OE 0028 : 002A44A8.

So, that's it.........any ideas(?)................................dazee

P.S. Sorry about starting a new thread. I should have just gone back to the old one. Wasn't thinking.

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

That could be some sort of driver conflict.

Try updating the video card driver.

Zee

3. dazeeandconfused

Zee.....................just want to check with you before I actually do it. I'm pretty sure I found what I need. I'm working with "NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 model 64 Pro , and what I found available is "Presario nVidia Unified Graphics Driver". Does that sound right? Ok.........right about now I picture you saying "How the hell should I know"................dazee

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

5. dazeeandconfused

ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you seriouly trying to send me over the edge!!! Here's what happened. I downloaded the file you gave me (so far so good). When I went to restart the computer a blue screen appeared with an error message (a mile long). It happened twice. After that when I tried to restart the computer it came up in safe mode. I deleted the file you gave me. At least I think I deleted it, maybe it's not fully deleted (you'll have to tell me how to make sure it is). Still in Safe Mode. I tried restore back to April 7th, but still coming up in Safe Mode. Used Dr. Watson and this is what it said.

"Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows systems files.
    Module Name: KB891711.EXE
    Discription: Windows KB891711 component.

Zee....................get me out of Safe Mode!!!!! I'm not mad (trust me), just bordering on terrified since I'm sitting here totally confused as to what to do......................dazee

6. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Start by telling me:

a) Did you run the file you downloaded?

b) When you start Windows does it say Safe Mode on the 4 corners of the screen?

Zee

7. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Might try a registry restore at boot up. That might get you back to where you began...

8. dazeeandconfused

Ok.......................keeping in mind your talking to someone who is a computer "dufuss" so the words I use will probably not be the correct ones, but this is what I did. I went to the web-site, downloaded it into a file, then from there I opened it up and put "into" the computer. Then like always it asked if I wanted to restart the computer. I restarted the computer and then the big long error. Did I tell you the error message? Maybe it wouldn't help at this point since I'm not getting it anymore. Just straight to Safe-Mode. No, there isn't anything in the corners. Ah...............not sure if this means anything, but everything downloads (printer, spybot, AV, etc) even though I'm in Safe-Mode. And Kim, I'll see about restoring the registry, but first I have to figure out how to do it. Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it .................................dazee (who is stuck in Safe-Mode.................helllllllllllllllllp)

9. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Hello ,

The attached GIF shows Safe Mode in a Windows Me machine.

Edited out remainder as being not helpful information.

Apologies dazeeandconfused and Blue Zee

Ben.

Attached Files:

10. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

You are not in Safe Mode but in low resolution.

Right-click an empty spot on the desktop, select Properties, click the Settings tab.

Move the Screen Resolution slider to 800x600 or 1024x768, click Apply and OK.

Restart the PC. Does it look OK now?

Did you have a repeat of the frozen mouse issue?

You may also have a problem with the KB891711 patch (quite common...).

At this point in time, I believe you can safely disable it:

Start > Run > type MSCONFIG and press Enter.

Click the Startup tab and UNtick the entry referring KB891711.

Click OK, restart the PC.

Tell us how the system behaves now.

Zee

11. dazeeandconfused

Zee..................................I'm trying (I swear I am). I'm almost positive that what your asking me to do is the solution, but for some reason it's not working. I change the resolution I click "Apply" but the box closes down before I can click "Ok". A box then comes up asking if I want to restart the computer. The thing is I need to be able to hit the "Ok" because I noticed that the numbers go back to the old ones as soon as I hit "Apply". I also can't close down afterwards. I have to do is manually. I end up getting this error message (Error: OE:033F:000034E5). I'm also getting this (which is new) a box pops up saying "The driver file that displays items correctly on your computer screen isn't working. See Windows Update Web-site for updated drivers. I did that, but of course there weren't any available, because this is Windows ME. Like I said though, I have a feeling this is the solution, but I'm having trouble doing it for some reason. Any idea's why(?) I've been trying to do it for a while now. I have a few ideas left, so I'll give it a few more trys, but after that???????? Basically it just doesn't give be the chance to hit apply before the box disappears on me, so it just keeps going back to the old setting.................................dazee

12. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Start by confirming you have a folder called C:\NVIDIA\WIN???? (??? meaning numbers or letters i Can't remember).

After that boot in Safe Mode after tapping F8 at startup.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and click the '+' sign on the left side of Display Adapter.

Delete all entries under that branch and nothing more.

Restart in Normal Mode and let Windows reinstall the driver.

If asked by the wizard point it to that C:\NVIDIA\WIN???? folder that you located initially.

If asked restart and confirm the settings are now OK.

Zee

13. dazeeandconfused

Zee...............Don't know if this is good news or bad, but.............. I went into "Search" and under "Files and Folders" I got the message "Is not a valid folder", and under "Containing text", nothing was found(?).

Not sure if this is relevant, but last week I went into Control Panel under Add/Remove and removed "NVIDIA Windows 95/98/ME Display Drivers (I thought maybe that's what had been installed and was screwing up this system, but I realized it wasn't and put it back).??? The way I did that was by going into the Recycle bin and just clicked to have it re-installed. I hope that wasn't a manage screw up on my part.............dazee

14. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

If you uninstalled the display drivers you can't change the resolution, hence the Safe Mode look alike.

I suggest you reinstall the drivers posted here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

If any error pops up, please write it down and post here.

I don't know or understand what you are trying to do and I should warn you the deleting files, folders or whatever you're trying to do will surely end up in tears.

Please try giving us some regular feedback on every troubleshooting step or thie will be an endless thread.

Thank you.

Zee

PS
    When I said C:\NVIDIA\WIN??? (something), go to My Computer > Local disk C:
    Confirm you see a folder NVIDIA, double-click it to see another folder called WIN(something).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice