Update for Windows 10 is stuck at 71%.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ocarub

My family just bought a new computer yesterday. It is a Dell Inspirion 3650. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3650-3756SLV-Desktop-Included/dp/B019TTJARQ?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3650-3756SLV-Desktop-Included/dp/B019TTJARQ?th=1

After setting it up I went to bed. When I woke up, which was at 7 AM, the computer had this-

Code:
Configuring update for Windows 10
71% complete
Do not turn off your computer.
It's really taking a long time. I know the specs aren't the best and I should expect it to take longer but it's getting ridiculous. I'm seriously thinking of just turning it off. Is there anyway for me to speed up the process or to safely turn off the computer?

Thanks in advance!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Be patient and allow the update process to finish.
If you turn off your new computer while it's in the process of being updated, you may find yourself with a non-working one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ronc303

Ron
I think it has hung, or the screen isn't updating.
What is the update?

I would shut it off and hope it will reboot.

Ronc303

Ron
I agree with etaf, click on his link and read the whole thread.

Several posters mention their hanging was caused by USB items being plugged in during the update.

ocarub

Be patient and allow the update process to finish.
If you turn off your new computer while it's in the process of being updated, you may find yourself with a non-working one.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Very true, but it's honestly very frustrating.

ocarub

I agree with etaf, click on his link and read the whole thread.

Several posters mention their hanging was caused by USB items being plugged in during the update.
Thanks. But the thing is I can't use the computer. Like at all. It just stuck at 71% at the the sign in and has been for 10 hours now.

Triple6

Rob
Try to press CTRL-ALT-DEL and see if switches screens, sometimes Windows can get stuck displaying the wrong screen.

After that you have little choice but to power it off and try booting again, it may then finish successfully or go into a repair and revert to the previous configuration.

Since this is a new computer, is there any of your personal data or programs installed on it yet?

Bubbainc

Fred
I have been running pretty much glitch free on XP SP3 for about fifteen years. Finally, I caved and I am putting together a 64 bit monster with Windows 10 Pro. Looks as if I have a lot to look forward to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online