Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Update graphics card for vulkan support

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  bassfisher6522 
#1 ·
Hi! I have 47 tabs open about graphics cards and I feel like I'm swimming through spaghetti! LOL
I have a Dell Precision T1600 running Win 7 Professional. Current card is NVidia Quadro 2000.

The problem is that my boys want to play No Man's Sky!
Which is gonna require a card with Vulkan support.
They would also like something that will handle their usual games without trouble.
Crossout, Dreadnaught, Minecraft,

Can anybody tell me what my options are?
I could spend days tracking down all the acronyms and numbers I'm seeing in my google results.
Or I could ask the nice folks at TSG if anybody has a recommendation. LOL

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 ·
What do you use you Dell for? What you have is a work station PC and the give away on that it the GPU you say it has. The Quadro 2000 is a work station GPU and those are not meant for playing games.

Are you wanting to replace the GPU in the Dell? If so that's going to involve a lot of leg work.

#4 ·
What do you use you Dell for?

Are you wanting to replace the GPU in the Dell? If so that's going to involve a lot of leg work.
This is our family desktop computer.

We have had trouble with the graphics card that is in the machine in the past. And it doesn't support Vulkan (which is required for NMS) so, yes, I would like to replace it.

By "leg work," do you mean it will take a lot of time to figure out what card would be compatible and support Vulkan? Or do you mean that it will be difficult to physically remove and replace the card?

#3 ·
Dell Precision T1600 (support site)

What's the exact 7-character service tag number on yours?
What's the exact description of the Intel processor in yours?
What's the exact amount and speed of the DDR3 RAM in yours?
Does it still have its original 265W power supply?

There's a lot more to gaming than upgrading to a better graphics card.

-------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Dell Precision T1600 (support site)

What's the exact 7-character service tag number on yours?
What's the exact description of the Intel processor in yours?
What's the exact amount and speed of the DDR3 RAM in yours?
Does it still have its original 265W power supply?

There's a lot more to gaming than upgrading to a better graphics card.

I know there's a whole world of specialized computers designed to provide the most lifelike gaming experience. :) While they would love that, my boys aren't getting it. LOL We have to stay within the "family desktop" limitations. I'm just hoping to be able to allow them to play the game they bought without realizing our computer couldn't handle it.

Service tag: 1TL2MS1
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1270 @3.4GHz
DDR3 RAM: 16 GBytes 665.1 MHz
Power Supply: Dell L265-00

#9 ·
It's more to it than that.

You'll need a new PSU and maybe a new CPU along with your GPU
So, just for clarity, are you saying that I will not be able to run No Man's Sky even if I replace the graphics card with a newer card that supports Vulkan? Because my entire goal is to install a card with Vulkan support so they can play one specific game. Not looking to build a gaming system. Just want that one game to work. (I'm being very specific and repeating myself, because when I read your above responses I get the feeling that you have misunderstood my goal.)

#10 ·
I understand you goal totally. It's not that simple with your PC.

What you don't understand is....you have a work station PC. it's not the same as a standard OEM Dell which would be simple enough to change/add a GPU to play your game and maybe not having to replace your PSU as well. Then there's the CPU which is a Xeon which may or may not allow for some games to play. As it was designed for Work station for CAD and video editing.

Like I said you may end up having to gut the PC to achieve your "GOAL". That's why I suggested you may want to look at a new PC for gaming. Then look at a pre-built system.

As a system builder I would gladly do what you want but the cost effectiveness wouldn't be worth it...IMHO.

#11 ·
I understand you goal totally. It's not that simple with your PC.

What you don't understand is....you have a work station PC. it's not the same as a standard OEM Dell which would be simple enough to change/add a GPU to play your game and maybe not having to replace your PSU as well. Then there's the CPU which is a Xeon which may or may not allow for some games to play. As it was designed for Work station for CAD and video editing.

Like I said you may end up having to gut the PC to achieve your "GOAL". That's why I suggested you may want to look at a new PC for gaming. Then look at a pre-built system.

As a system builder I would gladly do what you want but the cost effectiveness wouldn't be worth it...IMHO.
Ok, thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me! :)

#12 · (Edited)
Service tag: 1TL2MS1
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1270 @3.4GHz
DDR3 RAM: 16 GBytes 665.1 MHz
Power Supply: Dell L265-00
You have THIS Dell Precision T1600 Desktop PC which was purchased in March 2012 and came with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

It also came with these hardware specs:
Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.40 GHz quad core processor
16 GB DDR3-1333 MHz RAM
500 GB SATA2 hard disk drive
256 GB SATA3 solid state drive
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300 dual graphics cards
265W power supply

I'm assuming the original dual graphics cards were upgraded to a single NVIDIA Quadro 2000 graphics card.
If that's correct, these are the listed performance specs for the processor and graphics card.

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

From what I can determine, the recommended system requirements for No Man's Sky require a more powerful processor and graphics card.

#13 ·
From what I can determine, the recommended system requirements for No Man's Sky require a more powerful processor and graphics card.

Ok, thanks so much for checking into it for me!

Meanwhile, while I was waiting I was looking for minimum specs and came across this post: https://guides.gamepressure.com/nomanssky/guide.asp?ID=45775 at the bottom of the page he lists minimum requirements.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Circle

When I compared my processor to what he lists as the minimum it really looks like mine is much better. Would that be correct?
Rectangle Font Electronic device Electric blue Multimedia

So I'm still hoping that there would maayyyybe be some possibility of it working with just a graphics card upgrade? I'm probably coming across as really dense here, but I just really want to find a way to make this work. Our only other option is to try and get a refund for the game and I'm pretty sure that will be a nightmare. So, if I'm being dumb, just flat out tell me there's no way it will work. And I'll go cry and try to get a refund. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.