1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update KB917422 failed to install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jen147, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

My computer was downloading and installing automatic updates, all updates went fine except the KB917422, it was downloaded along with the others, but when it got to the install stage got the following error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!

Program: ...86cafc583a58922d9f353b3a41cf\update\update.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.​

After that, the rest of the updates installed successfully. Can someone tell me what that was, and how do I get that update back?

Thanks!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

ozrom1e,

I don't usually go to those tech support places for help, in past experience they are utterly useless, hp tech support gave me advise once that crashed my whole system and I lost everything. That's why I came here first... I like it here and Geeks To Go.

Pretty much all I could do at ms support was put in an email to them and wait. But I bet they won't address the Buffer Overrun, and I'm here to learn, not just fix everything.

If you or anyone else can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

4. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

Just did some searching on this particular update and ms download center says it's an update for Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 service pack 4. I've got XP SP2, what's up with that?

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I am sorry you will not try the link I sent to you but here is some information on that KB article you are having a problem with

Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    How to Uninstall
    This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Get help and support
    http://support.microsoft.com

This is from the Windows Updates from Tuesday night. When you tried to get this was it thru Windows Update or the Automatic Updates?

If it was thru Automatic updates then open Internet Explorer and go thru the Windows Update and use the CUSTOM button and get the updates.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't find KB917422 anywhere with a search of the Microsoft site. I checked in my Add/Remove Programs, and sure enough, it's there.

I've had several patches in the past that wouldn't install, many times you can download the patch directly and install it locally to solve the issue. Of course, it has to be a patch that Microsoft actually knows about. :D If you can find the patch, you can probably install it manually.

7. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

Oh I did use your link. Like I said, I put in an email to them explaining the same thing as my original post here. There wasn't anything else to do there, but read the FAQ's. And none of the troubleshooting questions there related to this, so it lead me to the "send an email" option.

And I've already been to the download center today and read about the update. And I just tried to download it again (from their site), and it went through this time, but after it completed a error message said something along the lines of it being for another version of windows that what I had installed on my computer. Which I already knew too. But it now shows the update installed in add/remove programs.

Yes, the update came in with auto updates, along with several others that installed no problem. I just can't figure out why it's listed as being for Win 2000 sp4, but it was selected for my computer, XP sp2, to download and install.

Also I did go to Window update and ran both High Priority and Custom and they both showed 0. But the update is listed in my update history as failed.

8. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

JohnWill, me too, I couldn't find it anywhere. Somehow I found myself at the download center, and I typed it into the search box and it came up as the Windows 2000 update. As you can see in my reply to ozram1e, I did download it from there, but I got that error message saying the update was for a different version than what was installed on my computer. Maybe there's more than one KB917422???

9. JohnWill

It's really curious that it doesn't show up in a search, I fired off a comment to Microsoft about it, we'll see if it does any good. ;)

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

11. JohnWill

That's the one, I don't know why I couldn't find it with a search at Microsoft. The download link for XP is in the middle of the page, should allow you to download directly and install locally. When I search Technet for 917422, I get:

Attached Files:

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

About two months ago there was an update for me that was supposed to fix the time in Windows XP for Australia. All fine and dandy but I live in Eastern USA. Not good Microsoft. It took 2 months for them to fix this so it would not download.

This Windows Update will not install and it could be anything from an anti-virus program or firewall or even might be a virus. I would like to have a HijackThis run and see if the computer is infected.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window under Internet & Networking in Security for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply and copy and paste the link in the address bar back to the original thread you were in.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fservice pack 2ix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Someone at MS was probably asleep. I had to go to the updates and back track to find the link.

14. jen147

jen147 Thread Starter

Ok, using the link provided by win2kpro, I was able to download and install 917422 w/o problem, Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what the Buffer overrun detected was all about? It happened right when 917422 failed to install.

ozrom1e, here is the link to my hjt log: http://forums.techguy.org/security/491120-submitted-request-ozrom1e.html#post3871723

I noticed there is still a lot of symantec in my 016's, I used to have Norton, can those be safely deleted?

Thanks for all the help!

15. pouj

pouj

I know that it may be heretical but I don't use the automatic update for Windows XP for my security patches. I turned it off a couple of years ago, when it downloaded updates for Windows programs that I don't use.

Instead, I go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ and read about the individual bulletins (critical and lower levels). If you hit on the name of the bulletin, it brings up that bulletin with detailed info about its purpose and applicability. If you decide that the patch is necessary for your configuration, then you hit the download for your OS and programs.

In addition to allowing me to bypass patches that I don't need, I can also download the patches using Mozilla Firefox. I initially save them to my desktop and then move them to a folder that I've created in my Program folder called MS Security Patched. Opening the files, initially, leads to the installation sequence. This makes it easier to know what month I installed the patches onto my computer.

It takes longer to do it this way, but it means that I've read the security bulletin for each downloaded patch. It helps me to understand a little more about my computer.

pouj

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice