1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update Memory

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by conglin_007, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conglin_007

conglin_007 Thread Starter

MY COMPUTER RUNNING SPEED IS AWFUL SLOW!
    MY COMPUTER DEVICE: CPU166Hz MOTHERBOARD INTER SOMETHING WHAT I DONT KNOW MEMORY 16M
    I WANT TO KNOW IF I ADD MEMORY CAPACITY FROM 16M TO 64M
    THE RUNNING SPEED COULD MORE QUICK ?AND WHAT POINT MUST BE ATTENTION WHEN PURCHASE MEMORY ? THANKS FRISTLY

2. putasolution

putasolution

The first thing to do is to determine what motherboard you have installed, I'm afraid inter something doesn't help much

Go to this page and download Belarc and run it

It should tell you waht board is installed

(Please turn your caps lock off ;))

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Conglin:

What version of Windows are you using? Even Windows 95 and an older version of Internet Explorer, such as 3.02, will run very slow with only 16 MB of RAM installed. If you're using a newer version of Windows and/or Internet Explorer, that will bog down your computer even more.

Judging by the age of your computer(1995 - 1996 era), the motherboard in all likelihood won't support more than 64 MB of RAM. Increasing from 16 MB to 64 MB will definitely give that dinosaur a performance boost, but older type RAM doesn't come cheap.

You need to seriously consider getting a new low-end computer. You can get all the CPU speed and RAM you need for a computer in the $600 - $800 range.

There are some ways to reduce the load and increase performance on older computers. I have an article to that effect in my website.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice