1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update software for XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Numbat, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

I have two or three computers connected together (sometimes) via ethernet. Each computer runs windows XP and at present is connected to Windows update. Each downloads many megabytes of updates each day (the same updates times the number of computers). This is very uneconomical use of my internet connection.

I would like some software that would manage this downloading.. I see a system called WSUS (Windows Software Update System) which sounds ideal. It allows a central server to manage the updating of network computers with only one download from the internet. Unfortunately, it looks like this s/ware will only work with Windows Server and not Windows XP Home.

Is there any software anywhere that would manage this?

2. advisory

advisory

you can set your computers to download the updates at different times of the day if you're worried about the bandwidth issue.

3. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

That will not cure my problem. Essentially, that happens now.

4. advisory

advisory

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311047

In the article, there's a section on how administrators can download updates from the Microsoft Download Center and a link to it.

Hopefully this will help!

5. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

OK, that may work. Means a heap of work sorting out which updates to download since each will need to be downloaded individually. That means checking every computer for the updates now installed and cross-checking against updates to be installed.

I would much rather software do this for me. Which was my original question. But thanks anyway.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Install a server. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice