1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update/Upgrade XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jwm1941, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwm1941

jwm1941 Thread Starter

I purchased my HP XP "Media Model" in 2001-2002 (don't remember) and it works great; but the latest versions of some programs (like "Internet Explorer") won't load. I would like to update/upgrade the OS to somthing more modern. Is it possible to upgrade to 64 bit?, say Windows 7, etc.?

2. ETech7

ETech7

Depends on your hardware. You can probably go with Windows 7, but very unlikely 64bit. More advisable to get a new PC.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of your HP media center desktop?

If you don't know for sure, advise us what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a 2001 - 2002 model, you likely won't be able to install Windows 7 because some or all of the hardware devices won't support it.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. jwm1941

jwm1941 Thread Starter

I looked up my warranty info which has a date of April 21, 2007. The my machine is a HP Media Center CTO PC M7300Y.
    Signed JWM1941

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You apparently have a HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7300y Custom-To-Order Desktop PC
    (product #EK464AV)

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

This model desktop was introduced in February 2006 and sold in the United States and Canada.

It came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 pre-installed.

Its driver downloads section has device drivers for Windows XP, but not for Windows Vista or Windows 7, so it's unknown at this time if its devices have support for Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------

Go here to download and save SysInfo.exe

Double-click it to run it.

Copy-and-paste its entire contents here.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. jwm1941

jwm1941 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3582 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON X600 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 229240 MB, Free - 191586 MB; D: Total - 9215 MB, Free - 1270 MB; K: Total - 152617 MB, Free - 127044 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., LIMESTONE
    Antivirus: None

jwm1941

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the Intel site for the Intel Pentium IV 3.00 GHz processor, it only supports Windows 32-bit and not Windows 64-bit.

According to the ATI/AMD drivers site, it doesn't appear that ATI Radeon X600 series graphics has support for Windows 7.

I suggest you download and save and then run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and then see what the report tells you.

---------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice