1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Update USB to 3.0 & 3.1 and Computer Shuts Off to Reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dishman777, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dishman777

dishman777 Thread Starter

I am running a P6TD_Deluxe Usus Motherboard, with Intel i7 cpu [email protected] 2.67 GHZ & 12 GB of Ram. It has a Intel ICH10 USB Family Enhanced Host Controller on the motherboard.

My question is that I do not have neither a 3.0 or 3.1 USB Ports to plug into. Is there a way to upgrade it using a USB Card or USB HUB.

I really did not want to upgrade the motherboard at this time, but it does sometimes just crashes and reboots by itself after is has been on for several hours, but I have been monitoring the temp. of the cpu, and that has also been in normal range.

Do you have an answer to either of these problems. Thanks, Ben

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi dishman777, and welcome to TSG.

You would need to install a USB 3.0/3.1 expansion card to add USB 3.0/3.1 to your computer. They typically come with 1 to 4 ports and some include internal headers for more ports. A USB 3.0/3.1 hub added to a USB 2.0 port on the computer would be limited to the speed of the computer port.

You should be making separate posts for each question or problem that you have. It prevents confusion. FWIW, both of your issues would normally be in the Hardware forum.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I moved this thread since the question has nothing to do with windows.

cwwozniak likes this.
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. dishman777

dishman777 Thread Starter

Thank You for the reply, I think that I will save my money and invest in a New Motherboard and CPU Combo.
    U

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice