Update Windows 10 will not work

dukecem

I did step one above, retrieved the product key, changed product key as instructed above, tried downloading updates, and it did not work. Changed the product key back to the original one I printed out. Now that I have a print out of the product key, will this allow me to do a reset or clean disk install and just install Windows 10 and use the product key from my print out to activate it?

Since you are willing to go that far
I would do a complete reinstall.
Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10

Connect the installation media you created to your PC and reinstall Windows 10.
  1. Open File Explorer and select the drive with the installation media.
  2. From the root directory of the drive, double-click setup.exe, and then select Yes when asked if you’d like to allow the app to make changes to your device.
  3. Select Change what to keep.
  4. Select one of the following options, and then select Next:
    • Keep personal files and apps – This will preserve your personal data, apps, and settings.
    • Keep personal files only – This will preserve your personal data and settings, but all your apps will be removed.
    • Keep nothing – This will remove all personal data, settings, and apps.
  5. Warning: You cannot undo a reinstallation of Windows 10. Be sure to back up your files first if you choose the Keep nothing option.
  6. To finish, select Install to start reinstalling Windows 10 on your PC.
Your PC will restart several times during the resinstallation.

The youtube clip looks ok.
You may want to consider using a program to make a system image first so you can always get back to where you are now. I would NOT use windows backup to do the system image

dukecem

I did a complete "nuke" to this thing. I wiped the drive clean and started fresh, saving nothing. Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 installed fine without any problems. It even recognized the wi-fi dongle and auto installed the driver for it and now I have wi-fi, it downloads Windows updates, no problems there. It did not see the Bluetooth function of the dongle, so I installed the Bluetooth driver from the disk that came with it. I have a problem with the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard responding when I boot the computer the next day. They just don't respond at all even though they are in the list of Bluetooth items connected. I have to "remove" both and use the "add Bluetooth items again to make Windows 10 "see" them again; then they respond as they should. Why won't Windows let them respond from one day shut down to the next day's boot up?

Another question, my other HP windows 10 computer downloaded and installed it's latest update. It updated just fine, then it needed to reboot. It momentarily shut down for a couple seconds, started back up for the reboot and stopped after the initial screen went black with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. I left it like that for an hour and it just won't go any further toward getting me to my desk top screen. How do I recover this thing and make it complete the boot cycle?
This blog has been quite a learning experience for me. Again, thanks so much for your patience and helping me through this!! Sincerely, dukecem

I have a problem with the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard responding when I boot the computer the next day
Connect normal mouse and run bluetooth troubleshooter only when they do not work.
If still no good.Try compatibility mode with windows 7
  1. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  2. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
  3. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

dukecem

Yes. Sorry I haven't been around for the past few days. Several personal issues have come up. For some reason the HP seems to have fixed itself. It boots all the way to the desk top now. The other computer, the main one that we have been working on, still has the problem of not seeing the Bluetooth functionality. Windows updates offered another driver for it; so I installed it. Now I don't have Bluetooth OR wi-fi either. How do I find the "driver setup file" you mention above that I should go to "properties"? Also, how do I find the driver for the wi-fi function? My wi-fi doesn't even show up as an option to get to the Internet, just Ethernet. When I try to reinstall the driver from the disk that came with the dongle, it won't install again over the installation that is already in place. I can't find the driver that is already installed on this thing so I can delete the driver so that Windows can rediscover the dongle and install the driver for it automatically, or at least. let me reinstall the driver using the disk. That's where I am at this point...stumped.

Sorry I haven't been around for the past few days.
Nothing to be sorry about
I was just checking incase I missed something.
When you get the time read this about System Restore scroll down to how to recover using system restore.
If it is on go back to a date before the windows driver install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online