Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Update Windows 10 will not work

7K views 114 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210405135049.000000-300
Processor: AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8210, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (448 GB Free);
Motherboard: ECS KBN-I, ver 1.0, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Even though I am connected to the Internet via the RJ 45 Ethernet cable connected directly from the modem/router from AT&T I still cannot check for Windows 10 updates. Here is the error message I get: "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again". Windows 10 is ignoring my connection using Ethernet hardwired to the computer. It is looking for a Wi-Fi connection. I installed Windows 10 Pro version 1903. After I completed the installation I installed the wireless Internet USB dongle that doubles as a Blue Tooth device as well. No problems with wireless Internet OR Blue Tooth when running version 1903. I had a lot of updates to do, and for some reason along the way my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth stopped working. I had to hook up my wired mouse and keyboard to get control back. I would like to get my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth capability back, but more importantly I want to force Windows 10 update to see and use my Ethernet connection to get updates. I am obviously on the Internet using Ethernet to write to you. I have no trouble with any Web site EXCEPT Windows updates going through Settings, Update & Security, Check for Updates. I think I'm at version 20H2 now by downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft page using the installation tool onto a USB flash drive, and then "resetting" Windows with the 20H2 version. Even though Windows has been reset to the latest version I still have this same problem, "Ignoring my Ethernet connection and instead still looking for a Wi-Fi network connection". If I could get my Wi-Fi dongle to work again that might get me back into Windows update, but I would still like Ethernet to work for updates as a sure way to updates if other methods fail; like my situation is now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, dukecem

See less See more
#31 ·
If this does not work we will try bluetooth.
As per screen shot Post #30 Click on configure >Advanced tab.
Drop down list choose IPv4 Checksum offload.
Right hand side drop down change value to none.
Click ok.
Also in the network connection (pic #30) right click on bluetooth click on disable.
Reboot
Test

#32 ·
I did all of your instructions....still thinks there is no connection even though I clearly am. I don't understand; why does Windows 10 NOT know I'm connected? I thought the operating system, be it Windows 10 or any other operating system, was the software that allows all apps including access to the Internet to be possible. Oh well, there are forces at work here of which I'm not aware. I don't really expect you to explain all of the technical things going on. I just needed to vent my frustration a little bit. Please keep the suggestions coming! Thank you so much for your staying with me. dukecem

#34 ·
Airplane mode is turned off and I enabled blue tooth....didn't help. Blue Tooth says "not connected" with a red X showing under the icon. Any idea why it is showing "not connected"? Please help me get my wi-fi/blue tooth dongle back working again. When that gets done I should be able to get Windows 10 to see I'm on line giving me back Windows updates, and my blue tooth mouse and keyboard will function again. The drivers for both the wi-fi and blue tooth functions are on a small optical drive disk that came with the dongle. Thanks again. Sincerely, dukecem

#37 ·
Also when you checked airplane mode is off. in the same screen was wireless devices on?
and is bluetooth on
Can you go to device manager click on the arrow next to Human Interface Devices.
Is airplane mode listed (may not be) if it is right click on airplane mode and click on disable
Reboot.
You installed the drivers for your blue tooth device but it looks like airplane mode is causing it not to connect.
I know airplane mode shows off but it shows the symptoms of being on.
I will wait to see the error from Post #36

Attachments

#38 ·
wi-fi wireless does not even show listed under "wireless devices", Airplane mode is turned off, Blue Tooth is turned on, but there are no blue tooth devices showing up under a list of blue tooth devices. Under device manager, human interface devices shows no airplane mode. When you right click blue tooth there is no option to connect. There is no error message when trying to connect blue tooth because there is no option to connect it. I'm attaching screen shots to show you what I mean about all of the things you asked me to do. I hope these pictures help you see what I'm up against.

Attachments

#40 ·
paired means it is connected.
if you pull the usb dongle out and put it in another usb port can you hear windows recognize the dongle.
Also when you do this have the screen open as per post #35 and see if the bluetooth disappears
and reappears in the list.

What is your time zone? see if I can get online around the same time

#41 ·
Central time zone is my zone. I'll try what you said do tomorrow and get back to you with the results. I have a 95 year old mother that my wife and I are caring for; so I'm only able to get to the house in the afternoon after lunch, then my afternoons are freed up. Any time after about 1:00 PM works for me. Much thanks, dukecem

#43 ·
Hello, All.

Dukecem, did you start using the wifi dongle because the computer's wifi card was broken? What happens if you take off the dongle from the computer?

I would like you to run this tool, to check the services, specifically the Windows Update Service.
  • Please download Farbar Service Scanner and save it on your Desktop.
  • Right click on the tool icon and run it as administrator.
  • Make sure all the options are checked.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) on your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the log's content to your next reply.

#46 ·
PeterOz....When plugging and unplugging the dongle into another usb port the blue tooth goes out when you unplug it and back on when you plug it back in; also the little blue light on the dongle goes off and on during plugging and unplugging, but it makes no sounds. Turning airplane mode on, wait 2 minutes, and back off works as it should. Blue tooth automatically turns on again.
DR.M....This is a desktop computer and without the dongle there is no wi-fi or blue tooth capability. Right now there isn't even any wi-fi from the dongle; the driver apparently isn't installed because it doesn't show up in the list of wireless devices. Screen picture attached to show the list. I've tried to reinstall the driver, but it won't do it for some reason. It just says at the end of the process "reboot computer". If I try to update the driver Windows 10 update doesn't know I'm connected via Ethernet because it is looking for a wi-fi connection, so I'm in a catch 22 situation....I can't get my wi-fi dongle to work and that's the only way to get this thing to go to Windows update. If there's a way to make Windows update see that I'm connected to the Internet that would be soooo helpful. And also get my wi-fi function of my dongle to work, that would probably get me there as well. If you can help me with these issues I would be so grateful! Thanks for your help. Sincerely, dukecem

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 23-12-2020
Ran by Duke (administrator) on 20-04-2021 at 13:54:26
Running from "C:\Users\Duke\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy:
========================

Windows Security:
============

Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is OK.
The ImagePath of wuauserv: "%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p".
The ServiceDll of wuauserv service is OK.

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SecurityHealthService.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

Attachments

#47 · (Edited)
Hi, dukecem.

Please unplug the dongle from the computer.

From the log above, I see that we have problem with the Windows Update Service.

1. Restore Windows Update Service
  • Download Windows_Security_Service.reg and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the file, allow the information to be merged (Yes) and restart the computer.
2. Run FSS again
  • Right click on the tool icon and run it as administrator, as you did before.
  • Make sure all the options are checked.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) on your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the log's content to your next reply.

#50 ·
Farbar Service Scanner Version: 23-12-2020
Ran by Duke (administrator) on 20-04-2021 at 15:21:53
Running from "C:\Users\Duke\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy:
========================

Windows Security:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SecurityHealthService.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

#52 ·
Thanks!

Much better now.

Let's reset Windows Update Components

1. Reset Windows Update Components
  • In the Search area type cmd and select Run as Administrator from the menu at the right.
  • In the black window, type one by one the following commands, Enter each time.
  • Code:
    net stop wuauservnet stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

2. Try the upgrade again
  • Go to this Microsoft page and under the title Create Windows 10 installation media press on Download tool now.
  • Save the tool on your Desktop and double click to run it.
  • On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
  • On the What do you want to do page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
  • Follow the instructions and select Keep personal files and apps, when you are asked to.
  • It might take a couple of hours, depending on your wifi speed connection, to install Windows 10. Your PC will restart a few times. Make sure you don't turn off your PC.
  • After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC.

Report back what happened.

#54 ·
Ok, I went through the whole process above, reinstalling Windows 10, keeping my apps and files....doesn't work any better when trying to go get Windows 10 updates. I haven't tried to install the wi-fi/blue tooth dongle yet. We will see how that works out. Screen picture shows the error message now. This is without the dongle installed or plugged in. Again, I'm on the Internet typing to you, but Windows 10 updates still doesn't know..... Update, blue tooth now seems to work....we will see tomorrow when I boot up. I now have the little computer screen instead of the little globe in the bottom right task bar showing it knows I'm on Ethernet connection....but Windows 10 update STILL doesn't let me in. When I try to install the driver for the wi-fi it will not install, it just makes an abbreviated try and then tells me to reboot. As you can see, network status only shows Ethernet Private network. It also shows blue tooth as not connected and no devices, but I am writing to you using my blue tooth keyboard and mouse....crazy! Anxiously awaiting to here what we can do now to get the wi-fi driver to install to get wi-fi working. Also still problems getting to Windows 10 updates. I appreciate all of your inputs. Maybe tomorrow will bring success in some of these issues. Sincerely, dukecem

Attachments

#55 ·
At least things are changing. You can now use Blue tooth Mouse and Keyboard.
The Update error is a different error - which is kind of good.

Do you have the dongle plugged into a Blue USB Port = USB 3

Screen shot # 25
What you are seeing there is a Bluetooth internet connection - Not wireless.
The idea of that type of connection is you turn on Hotspot on a mobile phone
you then use the bluetooth connection to join the hotspot so you can use the
cellular data on the phone as your internet connection.
E.G I am in an airport with no wifi. I turn on Hotspot on my phone and then connect my laptop to the phone via the bluetooth connection I then have internet.

You can try the update troubleshooter OR wait for Dr.M to see what he says about the new error message

Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

#56 · (Edited)
Yes, do what Peter asked you to do with the Troubleshooter and give us a screenshot of the result.

Ok, I went through the whole process above, reinstalling Windows 10, keeping my apps and files...
Let's see the version of windows you are running after trying to update.

In the Search area type winver and press Enter. What is the Windows version shown there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.