Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Update Windows 10 will not work

7K views 114 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210405135049.000000-300
Processor: AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8210, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (448 GB Free);
Motherboard: ECS KBN-I, ver 1.0, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Even though I am connected to the Internet via the RJ 45 Ethernet cable connected directly from the modem/router from AT&T I still cannot check for Windows 10 updates. Here is the error message I get: "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again". Windows 10 is ignoring my connection using Ethernet hardwired to the computer. It is looking for a Wi-Fi connection. I installed Windows 10 Pro version 1903. After I completed the installation I installed the wireless Internet USB dongle that doubles as a Blue Tooth device as well. No problems with wireless Internet OR Blue Tooth when running version 1903. I had a lot of updates to do, and for some reason along the way my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth stopped working. I had to hook up my wired mouse and keyboard to get control back. I would like to get my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth capability back, but more importantly I want to force Windows 10 update to see and use my Ethernet connection to get updates. I am obviously on the Internet using Ethernet to write to you. I have no trouble with any Web site EXCEPT Windows updates going through Settings, Update & Security, Check for Updates. I think I'm at version 20H2 now by downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft page using the installation tool onto a USB flash drive, and then "resetting" Windows with the 20H2 version. Even though Windows has been reset to the latest version I still have this same problem, "Ignoring my Ethernet connection and instead still looking for a Wi-Fi network connection". If I could get my Wi-Fi dongle to work again that might get me back into Windows update, but I would still like Ethernet to work for updates as a sure way to updates if other methods fail; like my situation is now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, dukecem

See less See more
#57 ·
When I first booted the computer blue tooth mouse and keyboard did not work. I ran the blue tooth trouble shooter; it said it turned on blue tooth and said it was fixed....still no mouse function. after removing the batteries and putting them back it, the mouse worked. I'm typing to you on the blue tooth keyboard; so they are working now. The dongle is plugged into a blue 3.0 usb port. However, the dongle will work fine in a regular 2.0 usb port. My Windows 7 old computer has no 3.0 usb ports and I have no problems running wi-fi on it in a 2.0 port. I have 2 of these exact dongles. Windows 10 Pro version: 20H2 build 19042.928

Attachments

#66 ·
My Windows 7 old computer has no 3.0 usb ports and I have no problems running wi-fi on it in a 2.0 port. I have 2 of these exact dongles.
Can you go to device manager on your windows 7 machine. Click the down arrow next to the Network adapters and take a screenshot. That will hopefully show us how this installs.
We will NOT change anything in your Windows 7 Machine it is just to show a pic.
That should help us see how it is installing itself

#61 ·
Still no wi-fi and no way to get to Windows 10 updates. I cannot get the wi-fi driver to install for some reason. Is there a way to download a newer version of the driver for the wi-fi function of the dongle? Please don't give up on me. Blue tooth is the only device showing up in the wireless devices.
There is no wi-fi device showing, so that tells me there is no driver to make the wi-fi work. dukecem

#65 ·
And something else to check once more about the updates issue.

Go to Settings (right click on the Start button and choose Settings), Update & Security and Windows Update (from the menu at the left). Then choose View update history. Give us a screenshot of what you get there.

#67 ·
I cannot make this windows 7 machine do a screen shot, so I can't seem to get you a screen shot of device manager. Also my blue tooth mouse and keyboard won't work when I booted up this old windows 7 computer....wi-fi still works though. I'm going back to the windows 10 computer. Maybe I'll have better luck there.

#68 ·
To take a screenshot using the Windows 7 computer:

Go to the Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters item. Press the PrntScr key. Then, come here and in the reply area right click with your mouse and paste.

#69 ·
The title of this window is Windows Update. If it cannot get to Windows update it may not be able to "see" any problems....maybe? Just a thought. To answer a question, I'm running Ethernet on this Windows 10 computer and the wireless dongle on the Windows 7 computer. And, yes, I've tried disconnecting Ethernet cable on the Windows 10 machine with only the wi-fi dongle plugged in the usb 3.0 socket and it says I'm not connected to any network. With the ethernet cable plugged in I'm online typing to you, but I can't get Windows 10 update to retrieve updates. I'm going back to the old computer to see if I can get print screen to work. I'll post a screen pic if I have success.

Attachments

#72 ·
Sorry, getting no where with this Windows 7 print screen function. I press the print screen button...nothing. I press and hold the windows button and press print screen...still nothing. Any suggestions? Here's a copy-and-paste driver description on the Windows 7 machine:
Realtek 8822BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC

#74 ·
DR.M....I've tried to get you that PrtScn picture of device manager but nothing happens when I press PrtScn button or holding the windows key down and press PrtScn; neither method works. I've tried to even copy and paste the device manager window content but it won't even do that....Please help me get that PrtScn function to work and I can send you that device manager screen picture.

#77 ·
Duckem
It does not create a screenshot to a folder like windows 10 does.
Are you able to log on to the website from the windows 7 machine?
If you can log on to the website then you just open device manager
press the print screen button only.
in the reply box here
right click and press paste.
No attachment

#78 ·
Lets all take a step back and re-think
Duckcem
Forget about the windows 7 device manager for now.
On the windows 10 machine as per your screenshot No.32
Right click on the realtek and if it gives an option to repair use that. If no repair uninstall
reboot

#81 ·
I uninstalled the wi-fi driver, rebooted and reinstalled it as per your instruction above....still no wi-fi from the dongle. I inserted the dongle after the reboot as per the instructions that came with the dongle. I went back to the Ethernet connection to write this message. Thanks for your patience. Sincerely, dukecem

#82 ·
So you were able to install the driver this time? As before it would not install.
Does it now show up in device manager?
Click on start type in realtek does it come up with a realtek program that could be controlling the wifi
If no program
Option 1
Unplug the dongle from windows 7 and plug into windows 10.
Test wifi - do not worry about bluetooth. So you will need to plug mouse and keyboard back in maybe.
This will test if the current win 10 dongle is bad.

Option 2
Uninstall again. Leave the dongle in (original win 10 dongle) and reboot
Do not install the driver see if windows installs a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.