Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Update Windows 10 will not work

7K views 114 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210405135049.000000-300
Processor: AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8210, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (448 GB Free);
Motherboard: ECS KBN-I, ver 1.0, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Even though I am connected to the Internet via the RJ 45 Ethernet cable connected directly from the modem/router from AT&T I still cannot check for Windows 10 updates. Here is the error message I get: "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again". Windows 10 is ignoring my connection using Ethernet hardwired to the computer. It is looking for a Wi-Fi connection. I installed Windows 10 Pro version 1903. After I completed the installation I installed the wireless Internet USB dongle that doubles as a Blue Tooth device as well. No problems with wireless Internet OR Blue Tooth when running version 1903. I had a lot of updates to do, and for some reason along the way my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth stopped working. I had to hook up my wired mouse and keyboard to get control back. I would like to get my wireless Internet and Blue Tooth capability back, but more importantly I want to force Windows 10 update to see and use my Ethernet connection to get updates. I am obviously on the Internet using Ethernet to write to you. I have no trouble with any Web site EXCEPT Windows updates going through Settings, Update & Security, Check for Updates. I think I'm at version 20H2 now by downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft page using the installation tool onto a USB flash drive, and then "resetting" Windows with the 20H2 version. Even though Windows has been reset to the latest version I still have this same problem, "Ignoring my Ethernet connection and instead still looking for a Wi-Fi network connection". If I could get my Wi-Fi dongle to work again that might get me back into Windows update, but I would still like Ethernet to work for updates as a sure way to updates if other methods fail; like my situation is now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, dukecem

See less See more
#84 ·
I'm back. I did the exchange of the dongle from Win 7 machine to the Win 10, and it doesn't work, just like the other one. After uninstalling the driver I rebooted and it didn't "see" the dongle and it did not try to automatically install a driver for it, obviously; for one, it didn't recognize the dongle and secondly because Windows doesn't realize I'm connected to the Internet. There is no wireless connection....yet. I reinstalled the driver with the disk that came with it while I had device manager on the screen open with network adapters expanded looking for the wi-fi adapter to show up there....it doesn't show up there at all much less as installed. I even had device manager scan for new hardware changes....no hardware changes. I know the dongle is powered up because the little blue light is lit up on it. Thanks for your patience...dukecem

Attachments

#91 ·
When I get back home I'll try to figure out what that desktop icon is. I don't know what I am to do next. It seems this computer is fighting me with everything I try to do to resolve the issues with this thing. I so much appreciate all your help. Thanks, dukecem

#92 · (Edited)
It might be what Dr.M gave you. Don't double click on it
I have read back through the post that file is from Dr.M
Do you have your data backed up?
What would happen if we did a complete fresh install.You loose data.
If your willing to keep going I am also willing

#93 · (Edited)
Step 1) Download this driver Realtek from microsoft 2nd in the list.
Test if fails
Step 2) Make a restore point How to make restore point
and get desperate.Reinstall USB controllers Go to step 4 here

For updates check if Windows Update Medic Service is running
WIN + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog, and typing in services.msc.
if not running right click and click on start - test updates

Are you running any 3rd party anti virus protection. E.G Avast, Nortons etc

#95 ·
Sorry to be giving you so much information at once but we keep missing each other.
can we see if the upgrade did something to activation.

To check activation status in Windows 10, select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation. You are activated

#97 ·
Were you able to check the activation? Without activation updates will not work.

To check activation status in Windows 10, select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation. You are activated

Also Speccy shows Windows update medic service is not running
For updates check if Windows Update Medic Service is running
WIN + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog, and typing in services.msc.
if not running right click and click on start - test updates

#102 ·
Did you download the driver from microsoft and try it? Post #93
Was this a work computer? Screen shot #37. I suspect that because the way it activates
and it has not been in contact with the server is causing the update issue.

#104 ·
No, this is not a work computer. No, it is not an upgrade from a previous version. I don't know why this one won't get updates. I installed this same Windows on my other desktop HP and it is getting updates just fine, so why would this one give me problems and the HP does not? I tried the driver mentioned above, but I found no "setup" icon to install it. Would a complete clean install or reset give a possible solution, you think? I saw a YouTube video on how to reset the hard drive with nothing left on the drive but Windows 10. The computer writes zero's on all the rest of the drive so all data and apps are completely removed and the computer will be ready to resell or donate, or in my case, all the possible problems wiped off so you can start over. What are your thoughts? Also, Windows 10 version 21H1 should be out sometime in May. Would it be worth downloading that version instead? Maybe this download issue has been addressed in the new version?

#105 · (Edited)
Can you get all the data you need off the computer. I think the update might be with the activation.
If you are willing to nuke the computer we can go 1 or 2 steps more AFTER you get the data off.
Step 1) download magic jellybean The free one. Run it to get your product key/s
Print them out or write them down.
Or this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/showkeyplus/9pkvzcprx9nv?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
you then Change product Key Test updates with new product key.
If it works for updates then change product key back to the one you printed out.

For the wireless dongle reinstall usb drivers as per post #93

#106 ·
I did step one above, retrieved the product key, changed product key as instructed above, tried downloading updates, and it did not work. Changed the product key back to the original one I printed out. Now that I have a print out of the product key, will this allow me to do a reset or clean disk install and just install Windows 10 and use the product key from my print out to activate it?

#108 ·
Since you are willing to go that far
I would do a complete reinstall.
Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10

Connect the installation media you created to your PC and reinstall Windows 10.
  1. Open File Explorer and select the drive with the installation media.
  2. From the root directory of the drive, double-click setup.exe, and then select Yes when asked if you'd like to allow the app to make changes to your device.
  3. Select Change what to keep.
  4. Select one of the following options, and then select Next:
    • Keep personal files and apps - This will preserve your personal data, apps, and settings.
    • Keep personal files only - This will preserve your personal data and settings, but all your apps will be removed.
    • Keep nothing - This will remove all personal data, settings, and apps.
  5. Warning: You cannot undo a reinstallation of Windows 10. Be sure to back up your files first if you choose the Keep nothing option.
  6. To finish, select Install to start reinstalling Windows 10 on your PC.
Your PC will restart several times during the resinstallation.

The youtube clip looks ok.
You may want to consider using a program to make a system image first so you can always get back to where you are now. I would NOT use windows backup to do the system image

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.