1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

update windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mchreidi, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mchreidi

mchreidi Thread Starter

can i update my computer from windows 2000 professional to windows xp and will that slow my pc's speed .
    thank you

2. bbearren

bbearren

Yes, you can, and no, it won't slow you down. XP is basically a dressed up and tweaked version of 2000.
    Before you do the upgrade, run CHKDSK /R and do a complete defrag.

There are some here who will say that a clean install is the only way to go, but if your 2000 installation is running good, you're highly unlikely to have any difficulties with doing an XP upgrade over it.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

a clean install eliminates any possibility of problems with the old os, that's why it's usually recommended.

5. bbearren

bbearren

I use disk images for backup (and it's the only backup system I recommend). I could have my complete Windows 2000 installation up and running in about an hour, exactly like it was before I upgraded it to XP. It's safely tucked away on some DVD's.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i can do a clean install of 2k/xp in an hour and know i won't have problems with a possible bad image.

7. bbearren

bbearren

In my hour, I'll have all my applications, all my docs, emails, photos, videos, etc. All you'll have is an OS.

And I know all my image files are good-I use BootIt NG, which verifies the image byte for byte, and I have also tested my image files by doing actual restorations.

What good is a backup system if you can't trust it?

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

no, it's apps too.

you spend time/money, unless bootit ng is a freebie, testing/reconfirming a good image/restoring to prove it works, where i do a clean install of either, a restore/reinstall only when needed.

how much more time do you have tied up compared to me? it seems like you do a restore just to confirm it's still a good image.

i don't backup. i've got docs/pics/address book, etc on various servers, i can open or save as the need arises.

9. bbearren

bbearren

Then you don't have many apps.

I've got $34.95 invested in BootIt NG. Bought it several years ago; one time, one price.

The time I spend is on a hobby I enjoy, and it's also a business that brings in cash. The folks whose PC's I fix don't seem to think it's a waste, and they don't mind spending their money for my time. I do lots of stuff on my machines that aren't necessary, because it gives me experience and knowledge to do those things on customers' machines when it IS necessary.

How much do you have invested in "various servers"?

A file you don't backup is a file you don't want to keep. I consider a backup to magnetic media the same as no backup at all.

And I haven't done the reformat/reinstall dance since Windows 95.

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

That's a contradiction.

I'll say it again. Hard drives are cheap these days. If everyone could do a regularly
    scheduled back-up to a slave drive once in a while, traffic on this site might trickle down to almost nothing.

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"$$$$0", www.e-mailanywhere.com, mail2web both allow me to access pop3 email from anywhere on the planet.
    a briefcase at e-mailanywhere has 6g of docs, pics, wab, etc..... that i can open/save/print on any computer.

what i need and all machines in the sig have the same apps/capability.
    xppro, office xp, adobe reader, winzip, spybot, xoftspy, symantec av, linksys 54g router, both wired/wireless laptops/desktops.

backups are important for some folks, businesses, just not me.:cool:

12. bbearren

bbearren

Like I said, you don't have many apps.

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

list your apps please

14. bbearren

bbearren

More trouble than it's worth...

I counted 31 of my son's games, but there may be more--World of Warcraft, Star Wars, Alias Underground, Evil Genius, Sim City 4, Age of Empires, Impossible Creaturers, Roller Coaster Tycoon3, etc. (and of course the saved games from many of those).

I have 3 photo editing programs, 2 video editing programs, Microsoft SDK, Virtual PC, C++, Borland JBuilder3, 2 CD burning programs, Nero suite for CD/DVD burning...
    I have a number of software tools; file recovery, drive diagnostics, anti-malware programs, etc.

I have Office 2000 Premium, Quicken, Quickbooks, software for my cell phone and my son's cell phone, 4 or 5 music ripping/editing programs.

There's more, but...

15. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

thanks, 31 games. must be a community computer.

my son has his own laptop and desktop with stuff he wants/needs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice