Updated BIOS; now LAN adapter isn't recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jenhm

Jen
I have a custom-built desktop PC with a Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard running Windows 10 64 bit. Recently, I upgraded my BIOS from version F2 to F7. I downloaded the BIOS file and the @bios utility from the Gigabyte support website. F7 was the latest version fro my motherboard model.

Afterwards, I had trouble booting the computer back up, so I cleared the CMOS by 1. touching a screwdriver to the "CLR CMOS" pins and holding it there for 20 seconds, and 2. removing the CMOS battery and re-installing it. After I did that, I realized that I just needed to change the boot order so that it booted from my hard drive. So, I did that, and the computer booted up.

Once it was booted, the Internet wasn't working. I ran the Windows network troubleshooter, and it said that the ethernet cable wasn't connected. The cable was connected, so I checked the Device Manager and found that the Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection had a problem icon on it. The description said, "The device cannot start. (Code 10). {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful." I tried deleting and reinstalling the device, but it still had a problem. I tried to update the driver, but the updater failed because it said it didn't detect any network adapters. I ran System Restore, but it failed. I also tried running "sfc /scannow" from the Command Prompt. It found and repaired errors, but I still had the same issue.

As a last resort, I wanted to downgrade the BIOS back to F2, but I couldn't find it to download (and of course I didn't think to back it up before I upgraded it). So I downgraded it to F4 instead, and I'm still having the same issue.

Another problem that came up--and I'm not sure if it's related or not--is that I keep seeing these "CLip device license not found" error messages come up when I boot up the computer. The errors reference different apps like F.Lux and iTunes.

The only other thing I can think to do is just replace the adapter, but if you have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

It looks like you are one of the rare cases where the advice of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes into play.
Installing a $15 network card would be the simplest way to get your networking back.

I can't say I have ever seen the onboard network adapter fail because of a BIOS update.

jenhm

Jen
It looks like you are one of the rare cases where the advice of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes into play.
Installing a $15 network card would be the simplest way to get your networking back.

I can't say I have ever seen the onboard network adapter fail because of a BIOS update.
My husband was applying for a remote job, and he had to do a computer scan. The scan failed because the BIOS was over 7 years old. That's why I updated it.

Never seen that before either.
To say that a BIOS is too old without specifying a specific issue that creates a specific problem is bad IT advice. Now your computer is broken.

jenhm

Jen
Never seen that before either.
To say that a BIOS is too old without specifying a specific issue that creates a specific problem is bad IT advice. Now your computer is broken.
Yeah, no sh**.

managed

Allan
Check in the Bios, under Peripherals, that the LAN controller is set to Enabled (it should be, that's the default but worth a look).

jenhm

Jen
Check in the Bios, under Peripherals, that the LAN controller is set to Enabled (it should be, that's the default but worth a look).
Thanks! I looked through the options and didn't see anything LAN-related, unfortunately.

managed

Allan
I just noticed the Bios settings shown in that manual are from Bios version F1d so they must have removed that setting later on. It was a long-shot anyway though.

managed

Allan
I see, looks like a LAN Ethernet (wired) Network card is your best bet, or maybe a USB wireless type you just plugin would be better.

jenhm

Jen
I see, looks like a LAN Ethernet (wired) Network card is your best bet, or maybe a USB wireless type you just plugin would be better.
That's what I figured. Thanks for your help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts