1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Updated graphics driver, now WOW looks horrid

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ninnjette, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

I downloaded the Avaist driver downloader thing to make sure my graphic card drivers were up to date for the new World Of Warcraft expansion and it messed my graphics up bad. Wow looks terrible, my character turns white when I log in and sometimes stays that way. I've done a system reset and it hasn't fixed it. I don't know what to do.. I've tried downloading older drivers. I just want to get it back to how it was before I used that STUPID program. *Cries*

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 10221 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, 1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 452 GB (406 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's all the more reason to avoid third-party "solutions" and go direct to the manufacturer for updates, i.e. Nvidia.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver (391.35) for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M graphic device in your laptop/notebook.

Download and save the driver, then close all open windows.
    Select the custom install option instead of the default install option, then select the clean install option.
    The current driver will be removed before the new driver is installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ninnjette likes this.
  4. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

Thank you so much Flavallee! I will try that right now. I appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Hopefully, doing a clean install of the graphic driver will help.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ninnjette likes this.
  6. Lanctus

Lanctus

If none of that works, you can do a Restore to a point before you downloaded the problem. Look at the dates it provides, and choose accordingly.

7. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

I did the clean install and when I log into Warcraft my character still turns completely white but when I move her around a little it goes away now. It's not 100% fixed but it's a lot better! Thank you again for taking your time to help me. I've learned my lesson on using other programs to install my drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
  8. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

I did the half restore, then I did the complete restore where it took hours and I had to download everything again. For some reason though when I did the complete restore my custom desktop background thing was still there. I thought if I did a complete restore it would be like a factory reset, not sure why some things were still there that I put there. Maybe I didn't do it right? But it took hours. Whatever that program did I think it messed it up permanently. Thank you for mentioning it, I might have actually done a different restore then I thought I did.. Computers are so confusing...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
  9. Lanctus

Lanctus

A Restore point is NOT a factory reset, lol. If you get the two crossed and do a reset instead of a restore, you could wind up losing everything you've put on your machine. As you have Win 10, in the search bare type restore , and Create a restore point will be a choice. Click it, it will open the System Properties window, and click the System Restore button. A window will open with Recommended restore up top, and Choose a different restore point at the bottom. Below Recommended Restore will list the time and date of your most current restore point. Click Choose a different restore point, click Next, and it will give you one or more options of restore points on your machine. You may only see one, but hopefully it is before all of this. Choose a restore, and let it work. Do NOT turn off your machine, unplug it, etc. Your documents and data will be safe, it just takes your PC "back in time", so to speak. If you've installed any app after the restore point was created, you'll have to reinstall it.

Restore Point was made for these exact issues. Try this, and let us know.

10. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

Thank you Lanctus for taking your time to reply. I thought a restore point was a factory reset lol. I did what you said step by step. I had a restore point from 7/18/18 that I used and Warcraft is running and looking normal again except when there's high lag. If a lot is going on to where I lag a little in Warcraft my character will flash solid white, but it doesn't stay that way anymore. If you've never played Warcraft I hope I explained it to where it's understandable. Like if I use a spell that has a lot of detail and or there's a lot of people around to where I lag it flashes white. Do you think that driver updater I used from Avast could of messed up one of my graphic card files permanently? Or does that not make sense? I don't know if graphic card files can get corrupt.

11. Lanctus

Lanctus

I am glad to clear up the confusion, and that you were able to restore to an earlier time. As far as your updating your graphics card driver, there are two best places that will help you. You can either download it directly from the manufacturer's site (good option), or have Windows 10 do it for you (also a good option). This explains how to do it through Windows. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028443/windows-update-drivers-in-windows-10

As a side note, are you using both Avast and Windows Defender on your machine?

12. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

Lanctus. I am. I'm using Avast and Windows defender. I contacted Blizzard who makes World Of Warcraft and other people are having the same problems, so I'm starting to think it's a bug on Blizzards end. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766286525#1 Reading the forum that does sound like it's on Blizzards end doesn't it?

13. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

Forgot to say, I'm the one that started the forum on Blizzard so I guess it's a new thing

14. Lanctus

Lanctus

Just a FYI, having two antiviruses on your machine will cause you problems. Windows Defender is pretty solid, and should cover your needs. The way that antiviruses work can make the other AV appear to be malware. Your AVs can fight each other, giving you false positives, conflicting reports, cause issues, and generally do not work well together. I doubt this is directly related to your problem, but it will cause you headaches in the future. I suggest uninstalling Avast.

15. Ninnjette

Ninnjette Thread Starter

Lanctus, Thank you, I didn't know having them both in here could cause problems. I will uninstall the Avast, and I don't mind doing that either sense their driver program messed up my laptop. I appreciate! Blizzard did send me a message letting me know this graphic's problem was a bug on their end so I'm putting this as solved. I wish they could of done something about this weeks ago, I've been beating my head against a wall trying to fix it..

Lanctus likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice