Updated to SP3. Can't open links.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lowtechinparis

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 502 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 38162 MB, Free - 13561 MB;
Motherboard: , P4i65GV
Antivirus: PC Cleaners, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Recently I downloaded SP3. It seems that I lost the use of my usual links on often visited sites. When I click on a link I get a small, short buzz noise and nothing happens. Does this have something to do with cookies, add ons or pop ups? How can I restore access to the links system wide?

Thanks - Thomas

lowtechinparis

No. The bookmarks are OK. It's all the web Internet links as when you read an article and there's another URL to go to for more information, etc. Those links no longer take me to the intended address.

lowtechinparis

Since I couldn't click the link to the Mircrosoft's fix, I retyped the link. It led to hot fixes but none of them were for Internet Explorer 8, just versions earlier than Explorer 7. I thought there was something basic about making sure a user can go to links...like leaving something on or off or switching something in the variious sub-menus like tools. Is there anything I can check to make sure I have that availability?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Try checking the file association for NONE: URL HyperText Transfer Protocol

Go to My Computer and click on Tools... > Folder Options. Then, click on File Types. Scroll down and locate the above file type and click on Advanced, then Edit. Now, compare the values to the ones listed below:

Action: Open

Application used to perform action:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Use DDE should be checked.

DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,

Application: IExplore

DDE Application Not Running: blank

Topic: WWW_OpenURL

lowtechinparis

I checked the NONE:URL Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. It contains the exact information you provided.

Regarding your message to try RESET, I consider that the "Nuclear" option and am hoping to find something less drastic as I would have to spend a lot of time re-inputting purged data.

Thomas

lowtechinparis

Phantom010,
I did the download you recopmended (ie8-rereg.zip) and it cleared some of the problem. I can now follow links to some sites on the first click. However, not all links respond and again, I hear a dull buzz followed by no action. But, if I click after ten seconds or so, that works sometime too. A few links did not respond (for example, when I went from one link directly to another) but I'm far better off than when I started.
Once again, Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online