1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updated to Windows 7 - 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Andy411, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy411

Andy411 Thread Starter

I updated my computer to 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium a few months ago (from 32 bit Vista), and have since worked out all the kinks (or so I thought). I saved all my documents and games, and all my drivers have been updated successfully. I installed OpenOffice, because I generally prefer it to MS Office, so I only now discovered my problem.

I didn't back up my copy of MS Office, and can't find my installation disk. I still have it in my windows.old folder that I've kept just to be safe, but I don't have the serial for it. Is there a way to recover it from the windows.old file? Or a way to pull my registration code from it?

Thanks

2. Andy411

Andy411 Thread Starter

Actually, ignore this. I just, for the heck of it, opened up the MS Word I had downloaded (with its expired trial), and clicked on the "activate by internet button." It didn't ask me for any info, and just registered itself automatically. I don't really understand why, but my problem is solved. I honestly can't believe I never tried that before.

3. antech

antech Banned

Strange...
    Didnt knew this can happen.
    But it did solved the problem.
    Make sure that the windows.old folder dosent get deleted by Disk Cleanup
    Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice