1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updates and Password changes for Win2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by widgeon9, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widgeon9

widgeon9 Thread Starter

Hi there,

New to the forum and I have a couple of questions. Both questions deal with performing actions as a regular user (not a Power User or Admin). I have setup multiple workstations with Windows 2000. I'm running Novell 4.9 SP2.

Problem #1: How can a regular(restricted) user change their windows password? I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, then change password and it freezes. I've tried going in through the Control Panel and Users and Passwords and it won't let me change the password there either. If I sign-on as an admin, it lets me change this - no problem. How can I give a standard user permission to change their password?

Problem #2: I want these same standard users to be able to download and install Automatic Windows Updates when they are released. Is there a way to do this? Again, as admin, their are no problems performing this, but I don't want to make these users administrators - for obvious reasons.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Set them up as power users or create a new group with the permissions you want to give the "standard users". Since you are on a Novell network you will have to do it on a per worstation basis.

3. Annakin

Annakin

Problem #2

I have the same problem... I have 150 workstations that don't get logged into but maybe once a month... kind of a backup for some importent people...

We have Zenworks as a means of software dist... not a big netware fan... sorry!
    so I just used the AT command... the same as scheduled tasks in windows.

I set the time twice a day and have them reboot every other day.
    net time /set /yes \\timeserver
    I copied a shutdown tool of my choice and have the system task run that tool a couple of times a week.

As for installing the windows updates... you could download the update have the system install them at night then reboot.

Batch files are the best...
    I have to varify that they are up and running...
    this one pings the computer and then returns the results to a text file..

ECHO
    xcopy /F /Y /D /C "\\servername\stuff\test\*.*" "\\computername\C$" >>"\\servername\InstallMedia\Hotsite\%DATE%.log"
    ECHO
    xcopy /F /Y /D /C "\\servername\stuff\test\*.*" "\\computername\C$" >>"\\servername\InstallMedia\Hotsite\%DATE%.log"
    ECHO

hope it helps ya...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice