1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updates for my computer are preventing me from shutting down my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kovukun, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kovukun

kovukun Thread Starter

My computer is an XP home edition I believe, and it asked me to install some important updated. After doing so, it told me that I needed to restart or shut down my system in order for the updates to take place. When I tired doing so, It gets stuck. I get to a blue "log-off" screen, and it says 6 out of 14 updates are being installed... do not turn off your computer. But it stays like that for hours, and never updates, so I end up having to shut off my computer by hitting the power button. :/

I tried doing a system restore, but those updates have to be installed first. Before it even tries to restore, it deals with the updates. I'm not too sure what to do. Is there any way to bypass these updates, or get them installed some other way? I'd really apriciate the help. Thanks.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Is this a new system? When you go to updates have you validated your copy of XP with Microsoft? Once you do that and make sure your settings are correct in your browser for downloads it does take time but not hours. Are you running firewalls, Zone Alarm etc., anything that would block the updates? Jazz

3. kovukun

kovukun Thread Starter

HHey, thanks for the reply Jazz.

It's not a new system. It was a computer given to me by a friend. Though he cleaned out the hard drive completely before he gave it to me. I don't know if this is validated or not. I have done system updates before, and I think they've installed correctly in the past. I've only had this computer for about a month now. I don't know if this computer was validated or not.

I do have a firewall, Comodo. I hope that was of any help. I'll look for your reply.

By the way, how do I make sure my computer's setting are correct for updates?

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Control Panel - Security Icon and check to see if the firewall and updates are checked and the settings are appropriate, Make sure it allows for updates and that you let it know you decide when you want them installed.
    Make sure as well your browser is IE as Microsoft seems pretty touchy about the wrong Browser and will refuse to update certain things, Make sure you have gone to Tools in the browser and clicked on internet options and privacy settings reflect accept all cookies.
    In security settings in the same window box make sure the first 4 active x boxes are enabled while your setting the system up. Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807978