1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updates for XP.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ACA529, Feb 4, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

So now that all this Vista stuff has been released, does that mean we don't get updates for XP?

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Hi Avianca! :) Found this for you:

Myth: Microsoft plans to drop support for Windows XP shortly after the release of Windows Vista, forcing Windows users to upgrade or else.

Reality: Under Microsoft’s published guidelines, consumers will have more than four years to safely say no to Windows Vista, and business users will be able to hold out until at least 2014.

You want the exact date?
    Earlier this year, Microsoft adjusted its policy so that product support ends on the second Tuesday after the end of the quarter in which the calendar-based expiration date falls. (Why the second Tuesday? Because that’s the day on which updates are released.) So, assuming Microsoft sticks to its announced January 2007 release date for the consumer version of Windows Vista (or even if they delay the official release until February or March 2007), that means mainstream support for all versions of Windows XP will continue at least until April 14, 2009.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=133

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the find, angelize! Would you like me to address you as angelize? :)

4. angelize56

And this is even more recent for you! ;)

January 24th, 2007

XP gets a new lease on life

Posted by Ed Bott @ 3:07 pm

Today, Microsoft is announcing the addition of an Extended Support phase for the Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition operating systems, providing consumers with an additional phase of support.

With the addition of Extended Support, the support life cycle for Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition will include a total of five years of Mainstream Support (until April 2009) and five years of Extended Support, matching the support policy provided for Windows XP Professional.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=188

5. angelize56

You're most welcome...and you can call me Angel or Marlene! :)

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Or Sparky!

Hi Sparky :D

7. angelize56

Hello and funny Smilin' Jack! :D And you can call me...any time! ;) :D

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

In one of my posts in the XP forum, I recall that there is a link to an announcement by MS that Service Pack 3 for XP will come out sometime late 2007.

-- Tom

9. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to that, thanks for the info. (y) :)

10. poochee

poochee

(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice